Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You give your opinion and others give theirs. And I don’t see over reactions I see people expressing the pain they might have been through. 

And please point out where there is a right to not wear mask or anything else that helps protect people. Seat belts, speed limits, DUI laws, shooting guns in a crowd, auto inspections, etc.... And I surprised there isn’t an outcry over limited number of people in a crowd

edit: in PA if you are stopped and cop notices no seat belt use, another citation... which has held up in court

My mom was once pulled over regarding a broken headlight back when I was in high school. Cop looked into the backseat and saw I didn’t have a seat belt and gave my mom a citation for me not wearing a seat belt but let the headlight go. 

4 hours ago, E3D said:

They have the right not to wear it. If a law is passed and upheld to require a mask then the social warriors can go after them to give them tickets for it. The Majority of police have already stated that they do not intend to enforce the mandates. 

You can make it personal all you want, that does not change my opinion. If that is what these people want to do then I am not going out to social police them. 

I wear a mask everywhere I go, with the exception of in home / car / exercise. My family does the same where they are. I hope to join them soon so I don't have to worry about the dcp justice league coming after me at home for not having my mask on. 

People DO have the right to choose not to wear a mask. And the “mob” has a right to use social pressure as a means to show people that they should wear a mask. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

I’m not sure why you are trying to make it a contest.  If auto accidents claim one less life than Covid-19, do all those lives just not matter?

In any case, based on your own numbers for the near future while Covid19 is still around, it sounds like in the longer term auto accidents will claim many more lives, whether 10 times as many or whatever.  So I’m not sure why anyone would want to minimize it.  

If we put just a fraction, of what we are putting into the pandemic, into reducing auto accidents, we have an opportunity to save millions of lives.  It just seems odd to me that we are treating those lives as 1/1000 as important.  

One thing is caused because of sheer human stupidity (drunk driving, inattentiveness, driving while sleep impaired) or freak accidents (deer in the headlights) while the other is transmitted from human to human and is preventable through risk minimization measures. 

There are already plenty of laws and incentives in place to prevent auto accidents and irresponsible driving, why should there not be laws and incentives to minimize the human spread of a disease killing off our elderly and causing permanent lasting effects in others. Enforceable mask mandates should be as ubiquitous as drunk driving laws, in my opinion. Both are to protect your fellow countryman. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not know, Jim.  You would have to ask the 1,200 "health professionals" who signed a letter in early June advocating that protests take precedence over the social distancing measures we were supposed to be practicing.  Because after that, it just all went to hell in a handbasket.

Until then, I used to say we were 99+% voluntarily complying with social distancing recommendations.  I cannot say that anymore.  Not even close.

By the way, did someone issue an executive order mandating that masks must stay below the nose?  

I totally agree with you on all points. While I think those protests moved us forward in regards to racial dialogue (it has done wonders for initiating important dialogue at my professional school where racial incidents and microaggressions occurred too often and were swept under the rug), it was a huge mistake to encourage and allow them to occur as I believe they have not so insignificantly contributed to our pretty awful situation at present. 

and yeah, while I applaud those individuals’ efforts in wearing a mask, it’s kinda useless if it isn’t covering your nose

• Like 2

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here's a Salt Lake City Tribune article about parents who not only want the schools to open, they don't want kids to be required to wear masks. For example:

"A dad who spoke after her said he, too, doesn’t think the masks are effective, and said he’s pulling his kids out of school this fall if the state doesn't lift its mandate requiring all K-12 students to wear a face covering."

i wish them future thoughts and prayers

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

My understanding of it (I come from an eastern background) is that people wear masks in Asia as a sign of respect for those around them. The health and well-being of the collective is emphasized over the individual in eastern culture, and so there is a subtle societal obligation to do things such as wear a mask in crowded areas in order to prevent infecting their fellow countrymen. 

shame we can't be the same

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  It is unfortunate to hear of kids with severe COVID, it does happen but is extremely rare.  Since the outbreak started in March in my county we are close to 3,000 cases are there has not been one severe case in youth.  Since I help oversee the epidemiology operation for our health department I see the daily disposition for every positive case and virtually all kids are either totally asymptomatic or have a very mild cold.  Not to say it doesn't happen, just that it is indeed extremely rare.  COVID is the strangest virus... For kids the incidence of severe illness is extremely rare, much less than influenza.  For adults under retirement age and in decent health the incidence of severe illness is still extremely low, similar to flu.  Once people hit their elderly years the incidence of severe cases increases significantly.  For the large majority of the population the risk is very low, thankfully.  In the county my health department serves a surprising number of the nursing home positive cases are asymptomatic or mildly ill, most people that have had severe illness in my county have been nursing home residents with multiple serious underlying health conditions.    

funny thing...in february, our area had a huge outbreak of the flu with serve issues and reactions that caused some schools to be missing as many as 25% of the students per day for a week.

wonder how many were actually covid?

word is Indiana will be cancelling band

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

word is Indiana will be cancelling band

ISSMA made the decision to pull the plug yesterday. Arguably the longest-running and highest caliber state marching band circuit in the country, so that decision isn't negligible for the rest of the high school marching band community across the country, not to mention coming from such a red state. UIL, the other top state circuit (Texas), is still in play as of now. BOA is also still in play as of now but I can't imagine it will be more than a few days before that hammer drops. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

One thing is caused because of sheer human stupidity (drunk driving, inattentiveness, driving while sleep impaired) or freak accidents (deer in the headlights) while the other is transmitted from human to human and is preventable through risk minimization measures. 

There are already plenty of laws and incentives in place to prevent auto accidents and irresponsible driving, why should there not be laws and incentives to minimize the human spread of a disease killing off our elderly and causing permanent lasting effects in others. Enforceable mask mandates should be as ubiquitous as drunk driving laws, in my opinion. Both are to protect your fellow countryman. 

I am not saying there shouldn't be laws and incentives to minimize the human spread of disease.  

I am saying there is an opportunity to save as many (or more) lives if we apply the kind of commitment that people are correctly arguing we should apply to the pandemic.  It doesn't have to take anything away from the pandemic.  

And I disagree that there are enough (or at least the right) laws in place to prevent auto accidents.  For one thing, the most fundamental thing that causes auto accidents is driving automobiles.  As we are currently learning to do things remotely because of the pandemic, one thing we can do is transition to things that allow us to drive less, like working remotely more often.  You don't have to be drunk or stupid to be killed by someone else who is one of those things when driving to work.  There are lots more things that could be explored as well.  

But don't worry, I won't keep talking about it.  I just thought that with so many people talking so much about the desire to save lives, it might be a good time to instill the thought of doing that in the ways we can.  I've lost enough friends and family that way, I would like to not lose any more.  I'm not sure why that would bother anyone, but believe me I am sorry I even brought it up.