Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

Just now, Continental said:

I panicked when you used those pound signs.

I will never forget that day.  It took a few hours for my pulse to return to normal. 

Oh this was a few years back and forget what I replied to. Think I used 4 or 5 sets of #s to replace swear words. Response I got was like “omg if you are that upset...”

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Cixelsid tells people not to panic every few days. I’ve asked multiple times who is panicking or what does he consider panic and never get a response. 

I see a lot of concern and upset but not what I consider panic on dcp.

This question does not have a simple answer... but it is time I responded.

At the same time we complain about inadequate facial coverings and the alleged complacency behind it, lots of other people are at the opposite extreme.  I know people whose self-lockdowns have never ended.  One such family self-quarantines their groceries for 14 days; they have obviously given up on perishables for the time being.  People stay home and ride out other serious medical conditions, taking far greater risks to their lives than the one posed by C-19.  A relentless barrage of fear-inducing reports masquerading as "facts" is causing people to overreact in panic.  And this fear campaign has extended all the way down to the smallest and most tangential social media outlets (like DCP).

Here, we have been subjected to hundreds of posts irrelevant to drum corps, impertinent to the discussions in which they appear, and cherry-picked to exaggerate the severity of C-19.  One might have been able to justify such behavior back in February as response to a couple of people unconcerned about the virus.  But since this grew to the level of a pandemic, there has been no one on this board denying C-19 is serious.  That was four months ago.

The moderators, recognizing the need for human connection at this time, have been trying to allow people more latitude to discuss current events in these trying times.  But that latitude has been abused.  Many of our pre-covid posters have been driven away from the board by this stat-storm.  Those who remain are subjected to these deceptive claims, in some cases clouding their judgment on how to move forward living amid a pandemic.

Somebody should remind us not to panic.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

At the same time we complain about inadequate facial coverings and the alleged complacency behind it, lots of other people are at the opposite extreme.  I know people whose self-lockdowns have never ended.  One such family self-quarantines their groceries for 14 days; they have obviously given up on perishables for the time being.  People stay home and ride out other serious medical conditions, taking far greater risks to their lives than the one posed by C-19.  A relentless barrage of fear-inducing reports masquerading as "facts" is causing people to overreact in panic.  And this fear campaign has extended all the way down to the smallest and most tangential social media outlets (like DCP).

Here, we have been subjected to hundreds of posts irrelevant to drum corps, impertinent to the discussions in which they appear, and cherry-picked to exaggerate the severity of C-19.  One might have been able to justify such behavior back in February as response to a couple of people unconcerned about the virus.  But since this grew to the level of a pandemic, there has been no one on this board denying C-19 is serious.  That was four months ago.

The moderators, recognizing the need for human connection at this time, have been trying to allow people more latitude to discuss current events in these trying times.  But that latitude has been abused.  Many of our pre-covid posters have been driven away from the board by this stat-storm.  Those who remain are subjected to these deceptive claims, in some cases clouding their judgment on how to move forward living amid a pandemic.

Thank you... first off imo we don’t know what the true numbers are due to this being new, labs and facilities being swamped and people throwing out (throwing up) really off the wall crap on social media and prime time rant shows on “news” networks. But if someone reports numbers that are more drastic than what you have found, is that spreading panic or reporting like you have done?

As for people with bad immune systems and other issues staying home. Having lived with it first hand, don’t judge. Even catching a simple cold or flu can kill.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think anyone claiming that 6 feet is the safest distance. It's safer than 5 feet and not as safe as 7 feet.

Has anyone else heard echoes of past marching instructors hollering about maintaining proper intervals while out and about?   When I'm out for a walk, even masked, I find myself mentally using my marching skills about intervals, step size adjustment, and 'tracking moving people' more and more.  I get a bit peeved with people clearly don't have marching skills.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thank you... first off imo we don’t know what the true numbers are due to this being new, labs and facilities being swamped and people throwing out (throwing up) really off the wall crap on social media and prime time rant shows on “news” networks. But if someone reports numbers that are more drastic than what you have found, is that spreading panic or reporting like you have done?

Fair question... the first three or four such occurrences.

As to ‘fear-mongering,’ For different reasons, some believe there is a gain to be realized by promoting doom and gloom. The news media has made this a habit for many years, long before this Covid-19 event. Seems like the bigger, the messier, the better. Hard not to be influenced but I try to let it go in one ear and out the other. 

One way, or another, I’m confident whatever the ‘new normal’ is, drum corps will continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Seems like the bigger, the messier, the better.  

"If it bleeds, it leads" has been around probably since newspapers/television began.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

"If it bleeds, it leads" has been around probably since newspapers/television began.

And know some people (not here) who would flip when I would tell them tv/cable is driven by ratings, including the news channels. IMO that’s why the talking heads who rant the worst are on prime ($$$$) time.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

People are so self-righteous, too.  I posted a funny meme on my Facebook page and a Karen gets her grandma panties in a wad and tells me that I’m not taking this seriously enough.  Are you kidding me?  I had groceries delivered for over a month.  I have a good mask that I wear everywhere.  I wore it on the street last night walking to our table outdoors at a restaurant.  I have disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer in my bag at all times. I wash my hands relentlessly.  I only leave the house if I have a reason.   Not careful enough?  I guess I could start suiting up in a hazmat suit. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Has anyone else heard echoes of past marching instructors hollering about maintaining proper intervals while out and about?   When I'm out for a walk, even masked, I find myself mentally using my marching skills about intervals, step size adjustment, and 'tracking moving people' more and more.  I get a bit peeved with people clearly don't have marching skills.

YES!!  Thank you!!

The lack of high leg-lift bugs me the most.  Arch of the foot to the side of the knee people.  C'mon!