Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve had influenza many times in my life.  I’ve never been tested for it.  I can count on one hand the times I’ve seen the doctor for it.  But I still had it and the CDC has to have a way to estimate people like me.  And this describes the formula.  Pretty interesting. 

I might have been counted once as only went to doctor one time. Had couple of “yeah it’s going around, rest, keep hydrated and call if it gets worse” click....

And boo hiss you listed CDC, I like Johns Hopkins.... they have real numbers 😈 (picking on people who cherry pick numbers on other SM sites)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I might have been counted once as only went to doctor one time. Called couple of times and had “yeah it’s going around, rest, keep hydrated and call if it gets worse” click....

And boo hiss you listed CDC, I like Johns Hopkins.... they have real numbers 😈 (picking on people who cherry pick numbers on other SM sites)

Wth?  Sorry...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I might have been counted once as only went to doctor one time. Had couple of “yeah it’s going around, rest, keep hydrated and call if it gets worse” click....

Jim was tested once in his life a few years ago.  He had influenza B in the spring and it was nasty.  So he’s in the books. 

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

No, because the number of “cases” is not the number of people who have it, it is the number of people who have been tested for it and tested positive.  A lot of people who have had it were never tested for it.  Many never had any symptoms.  

We don’t know the actual number of people who have it but most guesses I have seen would put it between 4 and 40 times as many as have been tested. 

The CDC has a recent estimate of 0.65%, which may or may not have been part of a worse than normal scenario.  A few weeks earlier, they had said 0.26%.  Those two numbers are about 1/6 and 1/15 of 4%, respectively.  

I don't disagree the number of cases is under reported. I would suspect the number of deaths is also under reported, but not to the same degree. So what I am hearing is if you suspect you have COVID your chances of survival are 6 to 15 times greater if you do not get diagnosed?

On 7/17/2020 at 7:11 PM, MikeD said:

Preemptive mod hat here...

Be careful in posting about the do's and don't of the political side of things. It's been nicely vague so far, but bear in mind the rules of DCP. 

19 hours ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat...

Please refrain from making personal attacks on posters. It is 100% against DCP Rules and Guidelines.

They will not be tolerated when found.

Thank you.

Ever since these pandemic discussions started, I have strived to avoid both of this sins. Even so, I was advised back in March that I had crossed a line regarding the first prohibition, so I took several big steps back. It's difficult, because many lives were at risk, and many lives were lost, and many more lives are likely to be lost, and maybe many of those lives could have been saved, or could yet, if only certain decisions were or were not made, and some terrible decisions or non-decisions were at least implicitly endorsed by some people here. It's hard to be circumspect about or rational with people if you think they have been cavalier about a life and death situation.

But there is a third danger. It's not against the rules, but it's possibly even worse for DCP: that of being a gigantic bore whose commentary, right or wrong, drives people away; call it the Dr. Stockman problem. I fear that bore is me. I think I've made my position as clear as it can be made, in multiple iterations. If people don't know who they shouldn't be listening to by this point, they never will. Nothing further I could add to the conversation at this time would make any difference. Accordingly I'm stepping out of this and any other Covid-19 thread that might develop for at least the next month. Stay safe, everyone.

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim was tested once in his life a few years ago.  He had influenza B in the spring and it was nasty.  So he’s in the books. 

Hope and I have been tested three times for various reasons ... so far all we are doing is driving down the positivity rate. I’m OK with that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Come to think of it I was never tested. That was the “come over here now” story and doctor was on other side of city. I crawled in the office after a rush hour disaster and got told “oh, last two people with your symptoms I just admitted to the hospital. You’re not that bad, go home and call us tomorrow with an update” 🥵  “next!”

Next time I saw a doctor his office was a mile away..... current doctor is three miles away but SHE works with a teaching hospital and is up to date on things (and about half my age) 🤯

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ever since these pandemic discussions started, I have strived to avoid both of this sins. Even so, I was advised back in March that I had crossed a line regarding the first prohibition, so I took several big steps back. It's difficult, because many lives were at risk, and many lives were lost, and many more lives are likely to be lost, and maybe many of those lives could have been saved, or could yet, if only certain decisions were or were not made, and some terrible decisions or non-decisions were at least implicitly endorsed by some people here. It's hard to be circumspect about or rational with people if you think they have been cavalier about a life and death situation.

But there is a third danger. It's not against the rules, but it's possibly even worse for DCP: that of being a gigantic bore whose commentary, right or wrong, drives people away; call it the Dr. Stockman problem. I fear that bore is me. I think I've made my position as clear as it can be made, in multiple iterations. If people don't know who they shouldn't be listening to by this point, they never will. Nothing further I could add to the conversation at this time would make any difference. Accordingly I'm stepping out of this and any other Covid-19 thread that might develop for at least the next month. Stay safe, everyone.

You are a lot of things but boring isn’t one of them.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thank you for all the informative posts and the ability to deal with a certain group of people (always the same) that constantly want to bash you.  Yesterday we reached the apex when someone bypassed the language filters with offensive comments directed to something you posted.   It was quickly cleared up.

You are not and have never been a bore on here.  In fact, a lot of what you posted provided food for thought if it hadn't been known already. 

• Thanks 1