Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

Colorado Bandmasters just cancelled their 2020 marching band season.  That includes BK's Friendship Cup.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/fall-marching-band-season-canceled/73-c6fb2eac-74b9-4d32-bfbe-ade4814191e8

Things starting to fall... yesterday Division III Centennial Conference (PA/MD) cancelled all fall sports for 2020. To keep it Corps related that involves Gettysburg College which had pre-season exhibition show with Cadets and Crossmen in mid 2000s. Also Cadets camp at the time IIRC

Ivy League canceled fall sports.

I would say the only way to have high school marching band is to have all the kids there in school in person everyday.

And I think that is becoming less and less likely by the day.

edit: honestly, I think any sort of 2021 DCI season is in big danger. 

Edited by soccerguy315

Tried to mention this before. No school for the Fall - no bands - no sports for the Fall = no dci in 2021 either. 

Some tried to make fun of the take but reality will sink in for them eventually. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, E3D said:

Tried to mention this before. No school for the Fall - no bands - no sports for the Fall = no dci in 2021 either. 

Some tried to make fun of the take but reality will sink in for them eventually. 

Only the beginning I'm told

• Like 1

It is hard to know what the new normal will look like in the future for the drum corps activity. There is one, but not like it has been in my opinion. Too many logistical changes that DCI relies on but doesn't have control over. So time to rethink the activity proactively.

i know circuits are announcing plans so they can say they have a plan, but i see them all being erased by schools and governments

• Like 1

Not only are schools nixing Fall sports, but Stanford is using the virus to kill 11 "minor" varsity sports outright. They can continue as "clubs", but must be totally self-sustaining. I can see bands not far behind.

I've lived through this before with the NC State Fencing team. It's always about the money, not the opportunity or even the strength/prestige of the program. Sigh!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29429478/stanford-cut-11-varsity-sports-cites-pandemic-breaking-point?platform=amp

12 hours ago, E3D said:

There have been multiple opinions on here that align with yours.  

Apparently the Dallas schools superintendent tonight said on TV that it was very unlikely that Texas will have high school football this fall.

And there may or may not be some insights to be gleaned from events in Israel, where they're imposing new restrictions because cases rose to nearly 1,000 per day after they reopened from earlier lockdown measures that had brought cases down to 10 per day in May: "On Tuesday, in testimony to the Israeli parliament, Dr. Udi Kliner ... reported that schools—not restaurants or gyms—turned out to be the country’s worst mega-infectors."