Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

All this squabbling about numbers is beginning to remind me of the chairs on the Titanic.

Eventually, everyone will expire, it's true, some of them from this virus. The question is: How many does it take for that to matter enough such that the living ones wake up enough to actually mobilize themselves into effective action?

It seems more important to blame each other about who allowed the deck chairs to get misaligned.

All of us want drum corps, WGI, marching bands and strawberry sundaes with a cherry on top, and the sooner the better. Now, how are we going to make that happen?

Regarding schools, I'm surprised no one has suggested just bagging next semester altogether in favor of going year-round for the next few cycles. Spring Break isn't sacred. It's not even in the Constitution or Declaration of Independence. It's just possible to treat COVID shutdowns like instruction lost to "snow days", or baseball rain outs. Just play double-headers for a while to catch up.

There are no good answers here, but some of them will cost fewer lives, regardless of how we crunch the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ironic timing as have to send one of my wife’s death certificates out tomorrow.... One that says pneumonia/acute respiratory distress (only difference is she caught flu and not CV)...

laugh a minute here....

It should go beyond saying that I am very sorry about what happened to your wife.  But I don’t see how suppressing discussion or eliminating levity would change that outcome, or prevent other similar outcomes in the future.  

You think that just because I want to keep our spirits up that I don’t care about people dying?  You really think I don’t care about people?  

My wife is high-risk and I have left the house exactly twice in the last 5 months (to take her to the doctor) so as to do everything I can to protect her.  And since things have only recently gotten bad here it may well be many more months to come.  

I care about people as much as anyone.  A little levity on DCP helps me get through the day.  Or at least it used to.

Taking a break from DCP.

53 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It should go beyond saying that I am very sorry about what happened to your wife.  But I don’t see how suppressing discussion or eliminating levity would change that outcome, or prevent other similar outcomes in the future.  

You think that just because I want to keep our spirits up that I don’t care about people dying?  You really think I don’t care about people?  

My wife is high-risk and I have left the house exactly twice in the last 5 months (to take her to the doctor) so as to do everything I can to protect her.  And since things have only recently gotten bad here it may well be many more months to come.  

I care about people as much as anyone.  A little levity on DCP helps me get through the day.  Or at least it used to.

Taking a break from DCP.

Stick around. Colorado is not the last band season to cancel. 

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If directed at me, the saying don’t judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes comes to mind.

Hard to tell with the craziness lately.🤯

Oh no, definitely not. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh no, definitely not. 

Thanks I’ll edit.... Sorry

on top of everything else my first horn instructor/DM from my first corps passed few days ago, really nice guy. Member of Jeff’s  and my church so used to see him a good bit. Also very close friend going through nasty family changes and cannot talk face to face because of CV so in rotten moods of rotten moods..... 

#### grumpy old pharte (me).....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

What?

AZ cancelled marching band season. then i made a joke about certain peoples claims that heat would kill the virus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

The case fatality rate just divides deaths by known cases.  We know that known cases are just a fraction of actual cases, though we don’t know exactly how many there are.  So the actual mortality rate, which suggests the chance of dying if you get it, is much lower.

The mortality rate would be the number of deaths by COVID divided by the entire popualtion. The fatality rate would be the number of deaths by COVID divided by the number of people infected. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

What?

Back in February-March, there were a number of hopeful predictions that warmer weather might stop the pandemic. Well, it's really warm in Arizona, but the virus is flourishing there. The reason seems to be that the disease spreads readily in air conditioned environments.

6 hours ago, DAvery said:

The mortality rate would be the number of deaths by COVID divided by the entire popualtion. The fatality rate would be the number of deaths by COVID divided by the number of people infected. 

Thanks for the clarification.  My sources must have been wrong on the nomenclature.  

Whatever we call it, the point is that the percentage of deaths per people infected is much lower than 4%.  There is no way to know exactly, but it is likely much closer to 0.4% than 4%.

Edited by skevinp