Colorado Marching Band Cancelled


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I certainly wouldn’t want to lose my sense of taste. Though I guess I could always become a modern DCI show designer.

The best thing I can do right now is turn off my phone and walk away.

Y'all can @ me all you want but I do not see how DCI can move forward until 2022 at the earliest. WGI 2021 will not happen. not enough time to put a season together. And I don't see how any state or p

Possibly relevant to planning for drum corps: despite putting procedures in place meant to prevent the spread, "85 kids, counsellors infected with coronavirus in YMCA camp outbreak, Georgia officials say". The camp closed in late June after a counsellor tested positive. The story notes that 82 people at a summer camp in Missouri also have been infected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DCI 2021 is not happening. Vaccine or no vaccine. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 12:50 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

And there may or may not be some insights to be gleaned from events in Israel, where they're imposing new restrictions because cases rose to nearly 1,000 per day after they reopened from earlier lockdown measures that had brought cases down to 10 per day in May: "On Tuesday, in testimony to the Israeli parliament, Dr. Udi Kliner ... reported that schools—not restaurants or gyms—turned out to be the country’s worst mega-infectors."

 

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Possibly relevant to planning for drum corps: despite putting procedures in place meant to prevent the spread, "85 kids, counsellors infected with coronavirus in YMCA camp outbreak, Georgia officials say". The camp closed in late June after a counsellor tested positive. The story notes that 82 people at a summer camp in Missouri also have been infected.

Do not panic over anecdotal statistics.  The science has already established that:

- kids are less likely to get C-19

- kids are FAR less likely to get seriously ill from C-19

- kids are also less likely to pass it onto others

- with the above in mind, it is in the best interest of the kids to get them back to in-person school for a number of other physical, mental and emotional health reasons

However, among the precautions schools take to reopen safely, we will likely see extracurricular activities cut back.  In the overall scheme of things, the marching arts are what we now call a non-essential business.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

 

Do not panic over anecdotal statistics.  The science has already established that:

- kids are less likely to get C-19

- kids are FAR less likely to get seriously ill from C-19

- kids are also less likely to pass it onto others

- with the above in mind, it is in the best interest of the kids to get them back to in-person school for a number of other physical, mental and emotional health reasons

However, among the precautions schools take to reopen safely, we will likely see extracurricular activities cut back.  In the overall scheme of things, the marching arts are what we now call a non-essential business.

Operative words are “less likely”..... I don’t have the answers and want to see the full recommendations.... Have family members who deal with kids with issues and doubt if lot of these kids are going to follow the rules let alone understand them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Operative words are “less likely”..... I don’t have the answers and want to see the full recommendations.... Have family members who deal with kids with issues and doubt if lot of these kids are going to follow the rules let alone understand them

Of course they won't follow. Just turn on the TV to many circumstances and see who complies and who doesn't, and most are so called adults. Not hard to pick out. Look at where cases are rising and what they were told earlier , now trying to justify

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Of course they won't follow. Just turn on the TV to many circumstances and see who complies and who doesn't, and most are so called adults. Not hard to pick out. Look at where cases are rising and what they were told earlier , now trying to justify

Thinking about the area where one teaches. Can just picture parents telling the kids not to wear masks or they don’t have to if they don’t want to.  
And from personal experience anyone playing percentages makes me want to puke. Doesn’t matter how “good” the percentages are, if you are on the bad side it doesn’t matter.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of being cancelled, or having my content disabled, as Dilbert cartoonist and provocateur Scott Adams says - one thing 2020 has shown is, we suck at measuring things -- can anyone provide an objective or meaningful statistic on the infection fatality rate of c19? Do we even know?

The media would have us believe that having c19 is a death sentence - equivalent to the plague or ebola - but to the best of our knowledge, do we know what percentage of people who get c19 die? I believe that the fatality rates are far higher with older (60+) and people with co-morbidities -- but HS marching band students? Is c19 particularly deadly to young people?

Could anyone point to a non biased information source?

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, tedrick said:

At the risk of being cancelled, or having my content disabled, as Dilbert cartoonist and provocateur Scott Adams says - one thing 2020 has shown is, we suck at measuring things -- can anyone provide an objective or meaningful statistic on the infection fatality rate of c19? Do we even know?

The media would have us believe that having c19 is a death sentence - equivalent to the plague or ebola - but to the best of our knowledge, do we know what percentage of people who get c19 die? I believe that the fatality rates are far higher with older (60+) and people with co-morbidities -- but HS marching band students? Is c19 particularly deadly to young people?

Could anyone point to a non biased information source?

How's  this for generalities , Does it matter? Personally I'm a little sick of hearing stats.especially doubting we get the truth sometimes. Sure they are important BUT for all the statters , Have you sat in front of a Covid unit waiting on results of a loved one? Well I have, twice. Every stat mentioned is a human life period, For those who think our children only have a minimal risk, Is that enough or even a smaller risk worth it? We will sit here and want to cut out a cancer of a bad egg in the activity so there is no risk to not even 1 child, even the smallest yet stats would decide with Covid? Well, the stats of some perv. attacking our child I bet is alot lower and easier to get rid of the monster , hopefully.

Also even though we can not protect kids from many things and can not live with fear, with this, which changes daily one has to ask themselves KNOWING there is something deadly or something that could make them very sick. Is not dying the bar we have set with some?  One just has to personally ask themselves. If it were God for Bid one of ours personally , can we live with that? One has to ask themselves that because I suppose people will have different feelings.

I know it sounds like preaching and maybe it is but all I know is twice I know and saw alot as a loved one went into a Covid unit and me being stopped, it's not a good feeling and so many things go through your head when it happens. For me anyway, I see stats now very different. I know they are or can be important IF honest and not political on any side  but I don't see numbers anymore, I see humans .

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, tedrick said:

At the risk of being cancelled, or having my content disabled, as Dilbert cartoonist and provocateur Scott Adams says - one thing 2020 has shown is, we suck at measuring things -- can anyone provide an objective or meaningful statistic on the infection fatality rate of c19? Do we even know?

The media would have us believe that having c19 is a death sentence - equivalent to the plague or ebola - but to the best of our knowledge, do we know what percentage of people who get c19 die? I believe that the fatality rates are far higher with older (60+) and people with co-morbidities -- but HS marching band students? Is c19 particularly deadly to young people?

Could anyone point to a non biased information source?

New York State has experienced 24,974 COVID deaths to date. Fifteen (15) of those deaths were among persons aged 0-19.

Percent of NY State's deaths by age group:

50-59: 9.6%

60-69: 19.5%

70-79: 26%

80-89: 25.7%

90+: 14%

so, 85% of NY State's COVID deaths are in population 60 and over. 95% are age 50 and over. And 90% of all COVID deaths in NY State have at least 1 comorbidity. 

source: NY State Department of Health (https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JohnZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.