Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I know I have had seasonal flu in the past and never went to the doctor, because I knew it was the flu. I would go to the pharmacy and buy some Theraflu, but not report I had it.

Think I have gone to the doctor once. Called in and was told to show up “now”. Showed up after car drive from hell and told “Last patient who said what you did I admitted to the hospital. Go home and get some rest and take (over the counter)”. No idea if that was counted in the 5 minute visit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No idea if that was counted in the 5 minute visit.

"And that will be $135 please."  Hopefully, your insurance covers that short visit.

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You know, I feel like some of us were saying back in March: "If we don't take drastic measures, a lot of people are going to die." And one frequent response was: "Don't panic. Lots more people die of the flu every year than will die from this coronavirus." And now we know that was not true.

So with one month before I hit 63 I stay home when possible, refuse to go to family events (too many people who travel to too many states), wear mask if around others, carry disinfectant wipes, have not started my bucket/retirement trip list.... panicking or doing my part not to infect others or myself

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost said:

"And that will be $135 please."  Hopefully, your insurance covers that short visit.

It did have one good result. Docs office was on other side of the city and had to drive during rush hour (hence drive from hell). Summer bug during a heat wave and passed 3 cars broken down on Interstate 83. 

Got home and wife asked what did I learn: “I learned I need a doctor on this side of the ###### city. Wake me up tomorrow”. Good call

edit: didn’t help doc looked like Elmer Fudd and talked to his clipboard. “I’m vewy vewy concerned about your test wesults huh huh huh huh”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

You know, I feel like some of us were saying back in March: "If we don't take drastic measures, a lot of people are going to die." And one frequent response was: "Don't panic. Lots more people die of the flu every year than will die from this coronavirus." And now we know that was not true.

And I have always maintained that C-19 is serious - and for that reason, we need to avoid panic.

• Like 1

Just now, cixelsyd said:

And I have always maintained that C-19 is serious - and for that reason, we need to avoid panic.

OK.

Meanwhile, do you stand by your statement that there are no asymptomatic flu cases?

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So with one month before I hit 63 I stay home when possible, refuse to go to family events (too many people who travel to too many states), wear mask if around others, carry disinfectant wipes, have not started my bucket/retirement trip list.... panicking or doing my part not to infect others or myself

Not panic in my opinion, just doing your part — in the same way I am. I just think it is being smart.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If you think we're going to need to resort to cannibalism, you can just say so. No judgment here. Or not much. Not too much, anyway. Maybe a little.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

43 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK.

Meanwhile, do you stand by your statement that there are no asymptomatic flu cases?

Cases, or infections?

You are correct to point out that there is such a thing as an asymptomatic flu infection.  Technically, any presence of the virus in a person is an "infection", even when they are immune.

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Cases, or infections?

You are correct to point out that there is such a thing as an asymptomatic flu infection.  Technically, any presence of the virus in a person is an "infection", even when they are immune.

This is what you wrote, in response to Jim writing that for both influenza and Covid-19, there are asymptomatic cases:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But the criteria are not the same.

1.  As the science has been pointing out from the beginning, a great number of C-19 cases are asymptomatic.  You can get C-19, yet have no idea you caught anything.  Flu cases are more thoroughly reported because there are no asymptomatic flu cases.  When you get the flu, you know you are sick.

2.  Right now, we are operating in a pandemic with all kinds of shutdowns, social distancing, and deferral of routine/diagnostic doctor visits, not to mention shortages and delays in testing capacity.  A lot of sick people are simply staying home and toughing it out.  That behavior creates a much larger disparity between actual cases and reported cases.  Baseline flu statistics were developed during peacetime, when people could go to the doctor whenever they so chose.  There has been no peacetime during which to gather comparable statistics on C-19.

There are risks and uncertainties involved in all our options going forward.  The best we can do is to refrain from panic, and weigh these factors as honestly and thoroughly as we can.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just so we're clear: it appears that your argument is that there's no such thing as a someone with a flu "case" who is asymptomatic -- do I have that right?

In other words, if you're infected by the flu, and you have symptoms, you have a case of the flu? But if you're infected by the flu, and you have no symptoms, you don't have a case of the flu?

Meanwhile if you're infected by Covid-19, whether you have symptoms or you don't have symptoms, you have a case?

Edited by N.E. Brigand