Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Do not panic over anecdotal statistics.  The science has already established that:

- kids are less likely to get C-19

- kids are FAR less likely to get seriously ill from C-19

- kids are also less likely to pass it onto others

- with the above in mind, it is in the best interest of the kids to get them back to in-person school for a number of other physical, mental and emotional health reasons

However, among the precautions schools take to reopen safely, we will likely see extracurricular activities cut back.  In the overall scheme of things, the marching arts are what we now call a non-essential business.

teachers however are more prone to get sick...one kid exposed, a whole class is now out of action for 14 days...maybe more. i see both sides of the argument..there is no win win

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Of course they won't follow. Just turn on the TV to many circumstances and see who complies and who doesn't, and most are so called adults. Not hard to pick out. Look at where cases are rising and what they were told earlier , now trying to justify

honestly even kids that have parents that follow the rules still have challenges. Sadie hates her mask. shes extremely friendly...a hugger. this is driving her nuts

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

honestly even kids that have parents that follow the rules still have challenges. Sadie hates her mask. shes extremely friendly...a hugger. this is driving her nuts

this is true, It will be nearly impossible to control, even with mindful parents

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I don't want to minimize your experiences. 

But it is not a good idea to make policy based on anecdotes instead of the best available data. 

And there are very significant secondary effects to these COVID policy decisions that must be accounted for. For example, are the elementary aged children of single parents going to stay at home by themselves and log into zoom (or whatever) while their parents go to work? Suicides are up tremendously, substance abuse has increased, etc

Somewhere, there is a tipping point in which the number of lives saved is not worth the other consequences. Good people will likely passionately disagree over where this line is. And that is ok. 

considering data is getting ####ed with for political purposes, i can't tell what is and isn't real. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And grandparents who handle after school care (waving hand).

lets see how many after school programs actually run.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I don't want to minimize your experiences. 

But it is not a good idea to make policy based on anecdotes instead of the best available data. 

Not trying to start an argument or insult but.....

Every Coronavirus case/death IS anecdotal (3m of them) and feeds the data. Difference is if you know someone or not.... 

As for reading the data.... each week seems like one side or the other... or both changes what numbers are important (cases, death rates, ICU, etc). Just whatever suits their purpose 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, tedrick said:

At the risk of being cancelled, or having my content disabled, as Dilbert cartoonist and provocateur Scott Adams says - one thing 2020 has shown is, we suck at measuring things -- can anyone provide an objective or meaningful statistic on the infection fatality rate of c19? Do we even know?

The media would have us believe that having c19 is a death sentence - equivalent to the plague or ebola - but to the best of our knowledge, do we know what percentage of people who get c19 die? I believe that the fatality rates are far higher with older (60+) and people with co-morbidities -- but HS marching band students? Is c19 particularly deadly to young people?

Could anyone point to a non biased information source?

Who cares? Kids aren’t the only ones who are involved with the marching arts 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Who cares? Kids aren’t the only ones who are involved with the marching arts 

So how was band practice? Oh grandpas here... stay the hell away from him....

Yeah little grumpy this morning. Turned down an invite to a (extended) family event and some people are po’ed. They have the idea that family can’t pass to family. Even the family members that just came back from a hot spot.... 🤯😖😷😫🤮

• Like 1

I submitted a plan to my administration on a standstill, music only model for my "marching" band (Virginia) kids. 

- Sectionals after school with the kids who are at school that day (1/4 of all kids come Monday, 1/4 Tuesday, 1/4 Wed, 1/4 Thurs, and then a teacher work day Friday to contact kids who can't come to school in person) and one combined rehearsal Thursday nights.  

- Perform in open air venue in town, open to the public.

- Parades (if there are any)

They responded with requests for more details on specific logistics on how I'd keep the kids safe.  Still working on it.

So, FWIW, the schools are allowing us to do this marching band thing as long as we keep the kids safe, at least where I am.

This is the perfect opportunity to show our education system that things like marching band don't need football to exist.    🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah little grumpy this morning. Turned down an invite to a (extended) family event and some people are po’ed. They have the idea that family can’t pass to family. Even the family members that just came back from a hot spot.... 🤯😖😷😫🤮

The stories I could tell you about family.....

• Haha 1