Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I am interested to see how much people are fixated on the idea of whether people live or die from the disease. With some victims suffering from different levels of anosmia (and as a result, mild ageusia) well after the rest of their symptoms have subsided, as well as reports of permanent lung damage in other cases, why treat this lightly? Just because it doesn't immediately send us to the Grim Reaper? Caution is always the best policy as a leader with the responsibility of managing the health and safety of others, especially kids. Until we know more about the after-effects of COVID-19, why take the risk? Kids are still going to be able to receive an education online and there are more important things in life than marching band. 

I certainly wouldn’t want to lose my sense of taste.

Though I guess I could always become a modern DCI show designer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I certainly wouldn’t want to lose my sense of taste.

Though I guess I could always become a modern DCI show designer.

Ouch! That’ll leave a mark!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In case you missed it:

"In congressional testimony on June 30, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, addressed questions around children and the coronavirus. 'We don't really know, exactly, what the efficiency of spread is' among children. The NIH, Fauci mentioned, is currently studying 2,000 families to understand the rate of infection for children and 'how often they infect their families.'

During the testimony, [CDC director Dr. Robert] Redfield also mentioned that the CDC is currently studying households to understand what role children play in passing the virus on. 'We don't know the impact that children have yet on the transmission cycle,' Redfield said."

Well, at least this time they are admitting what they do not know.

Meanwhile, other countries have completed their studies, determined plans of action, and reopened schools.  Add that to the list of what Fauci and Redfield do not know.

Edited by cixelsyd
xcannot type xcleanly, adjusting to new keyboard

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Meanwhile, other countries have completed their studies, determined plans of action, and reopened schools.  Add that to the list of what Fauxci and Redfield do not know.

Last week, one of Israel's top health experts testified to the Knesset that a major reason for Israel's cases nearing 1,000 per day, after their lockdown got that rate down to 10 per day in May, is that they reopened the schools.

Edited to add: By contrast, there is a study out of Iceland that found no parents infected by their Covid-positive children. However, it's important to note that study examined a total of 38 cases, which is a pretty small sample size.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Meanwhile, other countries have completed their studies, determined plans of action, and reopened schools.  Add that to the list of what Fauxci and Redfield do not know.

aren't those countries at a few hundred cases verses close to 70 thousand here? I would think thats quite different...just askin...I thought I saw Germany, Norway and others who have re-opend were very low

Youre right these Dr.s don;t know everything or where this might go BUT I will put my eggs in that basket verses the alternative..

Actually hard to follow or believe either at this point. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Please, can we dial the snark back a smidge? I would love to keep up the discussion; I think it is complicated and important. I don’t want it to be shut it down.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 3

Some genuinely good news: for the first time since March, yesterday New York City reported zero new coronavirus cases.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 11:31 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Not sure what you consider biased (I certainly consider Scott Adams biased, to put it mildly) but this article in Nature suggests the infecton fatality rate of Covid-19 is in the range of 0.5% and 1.0% (for comparison: the rate for seasonal inluenza is 0.1%), while listing a number of caveats.

According to numbers on the CDC website the mortality rate in the US is 4.2%.