Tip of the Hat to Vincent DeRosa

Here is a Corona learning moment for you. 

Vincent DeRosa, one of the greatest Brass Players you have listened to but never heard of.  He played principle french horn on practically EVERY major motion picture soundtrack and TV theme from the 1940s all the way to the 1990s.  Yes, over 50 years!!!    From John Williams to the Beatles, he was also the 1st call horn for many Rock, Pop, Easy Listening, and Jazz recordings.  Check out his Wiki page for more info.  He will be celebrating his 100th Birthday in October.  

Here are a few of his many big name films - Spartacus (1960), The Magnificent Seven, How the West Was Won, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Robin Hook: Prince of Thieves (1991)

2 hours ago, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

Here are a few of his many big name films - Spartacus (1960), The Magnificent Seven, How the West Was Won, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., Robin Hook: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Wonder why he didn't get a gig with Dances With Wolves?

Vincent DeRosa !

For many years he was the "first call" French Horn for virtually every recording requiring that instrument. In 1980, it was my great privilege to produce the outstanding Brazilian guitarist, Laurindo Almeida. It was to be the very first release on the new "Concord Concerto" label, an offshoot of Concord Jazz, and the score called for a chamber orchestra.

Vince was the hornist at the session. It was all done live. I had never produced a classical date and knew I was in 'way over my head. I needn't have worried around these pros. The record scored a Grammy Nomination that year.

Here's a little taste. Vince has only a few notes here, all in support of the guitar, but they positively sing. The best example from this movement is between 5:05 - 5:20 or so:

What a career Vince has had, across so many genres ! A "player's player".

• Like 1

As a horn player myself, Vince DeRosa is absolutely one of our unsung heroes of the instrument. What an incredible player with an incredible career. And he shares a birthday month with me!