The 1999 Thread

Huh... a false memory. I felt sure I had seen Madison that year, but they weren't at Canton, which is the only show I attended. Must be conflating them with the previous year.

Speaking of false memories, a few years ago, I discovered that I share a false memory with lots of other people about the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. A number of people who saw the film when it came out in 1981, like me, remember an ending that doesn't exist.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:25 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Huh... a false memory. I felt sure I had seen Madison that year, but they weren't at Canton, which is the only show I attended. Must be conflating them with the previous year.

Speaking of false memories, a few years ago, I discovered that I share a false memory with lots of other people about the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. A number of people who saw the film when it came out in 1981, like me, remember an ending that doesn't exist.

What ending do you remember?

5 hours ago, mfrontz said:

What ending do you remember?

In the ending I "remember", the U.S. markings on the crate in the giant warehouse are burned off by the power of the Ark just like the German markings had been burned off the earlier crate in the ship. And what makes this false memory really weird is that I remember the ending making me mad, at nine years old, by the film's implication that there was some equivalence between the two nations. I loved Raiders, but I thought of that as a flaw in an otherwise excellent film.

But I was bothered by something that wasn't there.

And as I said, a few years ago I learned that I wasn't the only one who created this false memory. I never talked to anyone about it. But we all came up with the same imagined ending.

It's so bizarre. Why would we do that?

On 7/13/2020 at 12:21 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

This was the only year from 1987 through 2019 that Bluecoats didn't make Finals.

After 1995 it felt like Bluecoats began a downward trend while the Glassmen began to ascend. Bloo's placements in 97, 98, and 99 were not what I thought they would be after seeing them take a big step forward in 95. Watching Glassmen rise to 5th place in 98, 99, and again in 2001 was definitely a wake-up call for Bloo to get back to the drawing board and make another push. They did of course. They make finals in 2000, but the real push (IMO) began in 2002 and 2003. 

Glassmen had an excellent 1990s and finished strong. I think I liked their 98 show better than 99, but the talent was excellent both years. 

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

After 1995 it felt like Bluecoats began a downward trend while the Glassmen began to ascend. Bloo's placements in 97, 98, and 99 were not what I thought they would be after seeing them take a big step forward in 95. Watching Glassmen rise to 5th place in 98, 99, and again in 2001 was definitely a wake-up call for Bloo to get back to the drawing board and make another push. They did of course. They make finals in 2000, but the real push (IMO) began in 2002 and 2003. 

Glassmen had an excellent 1990s and finished strong. I think I liked their 98 show better than 99, but the talent was excellent both years. 

actually i'll say 01. 00 got them back in and laid the seeds. without Red Cape Tango, still vastly under rated, 02-03 never would have happened

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually i'll say 01. 00 got them back in and laid the seeds. without Red Cape Tango, still vastly under rated, 02-03 never would have happened

Forgot about Red Cape Tango. Great chart!

As we finish the 90s in this thread I'll say that aside from the top championship contenders, there are 3 corps that really had a fantastic 1990s: Glassmen, Crossmen, and Madison Scouts. The Glassmen put out some excellent shows and climbed to top 5 in 98 and 99. The Crossmen gave us an amazing decade of music, percussion, and great show design. The Madison Scouts were pretty much Madison at their best. So many killer shows that ignited the crowd and lit-up stadium after stadium. They did not win any titles in the 90s, but the crowd certainly enjoyed them...BIG TIME!!!

We lost Star of Indiana after 1993. I was somewhat bitter about that. I loved their contributions to the activity and felt they lifted the activity to a new standard from 1990 - 1993, and while I enjoyed Brass Theater and Blast! part of me still felt that they should have fielded a drum corps.

The Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils would win multiple titles during the decade. SCV and Phantom would each tie with BD for 1. Star of Indiana won in 1991 but could have easily won in 1990, 1992, and 1993. As ground breaking as their 93 show is, my personal favorite was 91 and I think it's still the best of the championship shows in the 90s.

The 1990s was, to me, a decade that featured a lot of run and gun or the "Whiplash Era." At times I loved it and at times I felt the music became chop and bop due to speed and visual. It was definitely a fun time but things would change in the first decade of the 21st Century and I was ready for a change. We definitely got change. Maybe more than we thought we would get, but you take the good with the bad, and I have really enjoyed the last 2 decades as well.