Old School DCI Night

We take you back to the very first DCI Championships in 1972! Our panel of DCI legends and luminaries WHO WHERE THERE on that first night will share stories as we watch some performances from 1972 DCI finals from Whitewater! With Brandt Crocker (legendary DCI announcer), Steve Vickers (Drum Corps World), Gary Dickelman (Blessed Sacrament […]

View the full article

Surprised by some of the sour grape comments from a couple of the commentators; “horrible intonation”, “rudimental drums”, “nebules drill”, “penalties for placing tymps on the ground” (that didn’t happen).  Still bitter after 48 years, I see.

Whatever.  We beat their corps.

We knew we were doing the show of our lives after Ritual Fire Dance.  We didn’t know we had won until we were back on the bus because it started pouring.  A corps mom with wet mascara running down her face came over to our bus screaming “WE WON, WE WON”!!!

My parents had divorced the previous fall, my mother died of breast cancer that spring.  I was the second youngest member of the corps and upon hearing the news I covered my head with my cadet and sobbed for a very long time.

Thank you Drum Corps for the wonderful upbringing and memories!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

Like the song says, "They Can't Take That Away..."

Anaheim's championship set the bar high. the DCI title was going to mean something after that.

Thank you for your kind words, ironlips.  Such a shame a few parents and Board Members backed a loser-narcissistic horn instructor over our founder Don Porter Sr.  The Kingsmen probably would have remained relevant for another 10 - 20 years had that not happened.   

• Like 1

Many of us thought the corps was even better in '74 and were astonished that they didn't win that time.

At a DCI "Theater Show" a few years back, I sat behind a group of young SCV members when highlights from '74 were being screened. Mark you, they weren't even born when that show was performed on the field.

During "Artistry" there was a close up of the bari soloist, and a young man in front of me noticed that his horn had only one valve. "How can anybody do that? That's impossible!", he exclaimed.

I leaned forward and said, "No, that's not impossible, that's Steve Beard."

So many of the Kingsmen members and staff went on to shape the destinies of the most prominent corps of the following decades as designers and instructors. When the show was over, I listed some of them for those SCV kids. They were blown away, of course.

To this day, there's plenty of Anaheim DNA wherever drum corps exist.

• Like 1

1974 Kingsmen:worthy:

the personification of military bearing

Edited by Sutasaurus

20 hours ago, ironlips said:

Many of us thought the corps was even better in '74 and were astonished that they didn't win that time.

At a DCI "Theater Show" a few years back, I sat behind a group of young SCV members when highlights from '74 were being screened. Mark you, they weren't even born when that show was performed on the field.

During "Artistry" there was a close up of the bari soloist, and a young man in front of me noticed that his horn had only one valve. "How can anybody do that? That's impossible!", he exclaimed.

I leaned forward and said, "No, that's not impossible, that's Steve Beard."

So many of the Kingsmen members and staff went on to shape the destinies of the most prominent corps of the following decades as designers and instructors. When the show was over, I listed some of them for those SCV kids. They were blown away, of course.

To this day, there's plenty of Anaheim DNA wherever drum corps exist.

Did the SCV kids understand there were no mics or amps too?  Steve had such beautiful tone quality!!!  And if that weren't enough he broke the stereotype that drummers always got the girls.

We had a higher score in 1974 than when we won in 1972.  Had our corps been larger, especially horn line (we were small, but mighty), we would have placed higher.  We were spread all over the field and some of the weaker horn players (cough-cough) were exposed.  Kit Squires was a piano player and I don't think he realized how hard his arraignments were for a brass ensemble. 

And to your point, the current head of WGI is a Kingsmen.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Did the SCV kids understand there were no mics or amps too?  Steve had such beautiful tone quality!!!  And if that weren't enough he broke the stereotype that drummers always got the girls.

We had a higher score in 1974 than when we won in 1972.  Had our corps been larger, especially horn line (we were small, but mighty), we would have placed higher.  We were spread all over the field and some of the weaker horn players (cough-cough) were exposed.  Kit Squires was a piano player and I don't think he realized how hard his arraignments were for a brass ensemble. 

And to your point, the current head of WGI is a Kingsmen.  

Did you know Scott Kuhlow (sp)? He was a 3rd bari from MI in ‘74. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer