Old School DCI Night

On 7/15/2020 at 11:52 PM, ironlips said:

Many of us thought the corps was even better in '74 and were astonished that they didn't win that time.

At a DCI "Theater Show" a few years back, I sat behind a group of young SCV members when highlights from '74 were being screened. Mark you, they weren't even born when that show was performed on the field.

During "Artistry" there was a close up of the bari soloist, and a young man in front of me noticed that his horn had only one valve. "How can anybody do that? That's impossible!", he exclaimed.

I leaned forward and said, "No, that's not impossible, that's Steve Beard."

So many of the Kingsmen members and staff went on to shape the destinies of the most prominent corps of the following decades as designers and instructors. When the show was over, I listed some of them for those SCV kids. They were blown away, of course.

To this day, there's plenty of Anaheim DNA wherever drum corps exist.

I went to see that Theater show in Ohio and I remember thinking the same thing about 74 Anaheim. That was one amazing corps and show! I wish I could have seen them live. Would have loved seeing the Argonne Rebels live from around 70 - 73. I watched a video of them at VFW Dallas from 71 I think and holy moly what a brass line. 

Edited by jwillis35

12 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I went to see that Theater show in Ohio and I remember thinking the same thing about 74 Anaheim. That was one amazing corps and show! I wish I could have seen them live. Would have loved seeing the Argonne Rebels live from around 70 - 73. I watched a video of them at VFW Dallas from 71 I think and holy moly what a brass line. 

I saw it at theatre as well. HS guard girl sitting behind me asked “Why are they not smiling?”

• Haha 2

This seems like the thread to ask;  what happened to video of 1974 DCI Finals?  All I can find anywhere are prelims.

Did someone forget to hit the record button?

Edited by greg_orangecounty

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Bunch of Boomers...all in their '60s now. Here's hoping some of those genes got passed down to their grand kids, and that those offspring appreciate what Grandma and Grandpa were all about back then. They rocked, literally.

They did but unfortunately my offspring roll their eyes and mutter "band geek" under their breath at the mention of Drum Corps.  They did go to DCI prelims in 2007 to see their father perform and they were impressed - or at least they pretended to be.

• Like 1

Tom Peashey was the color commentator for the PBS broadcast by the the upstate New York (Syracuse or Rochester) station that produced it. There was no national broadcast, just local broadcast. It was recorded by that station. Several years later, Tom went to the station to try to get a copy made of the recording. When the station examined their archive, they learned that the station had re-recorded over the 1974 DCI championship.

• Like 1