Old School DCI Night

1 hour ago, traverbanking said:

Tom Peashey was the color commentator for the PBS broadcast by the the upstate New York (Syracuse or Rochester) station that produced it. There was no national broadcast, just local broadcast. It was recorded by that station. Several years later, Tom went to the station to try to get a copy made of the recording. When the station examined their archive, they learned that the station had re-recorded over the 1974 DCI championship.

What a SHAME!  That's awful.  You'd think DCI would have secured a copy at the time.  Idiots.

Oh well, at least I know.  Thank you very much for your reply.  

14 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

What a SHAME!  That's awful.  You'd think DCI would have secured a copy at the time.  Idiots.

Lack of brain cells in DCI is not a new phenomenon.

DCI meetings are like this:

meetingsdemotivator.jpeg?v=1554328548

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Lack of brain cells in DCI is not a new phenomenon.

DCI meetings are like this:

meetingsdemotivator.jpeg?v=1554328548

Anybody see the DCI F###### page on Twitter?  Pure gold.  The Rolls Royce of Twitter pages.  I feel like I should give them some kind of award.  It’s that great. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Considering this was common practice at the time (there's A LOT of lost Doctor Who episodes because the BBC would also re-use tapes like this), chances are DCI never even had the chance.

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

Considering this was common practice at the time (there's A LOT of lost Doctor Who episodes because the BBC would also re-use tapes like this), chances are DCI never even had the chance.

Jim Jones of the Troopers filmed a lot of corps and DCW has some of them for sale. IIRC tapes were from Jim’s estate and no one knew what was on them. Can’t remember if I was swapping emails with Steve Vickers or the person remastering the tapes but was told (best as I remember the quote): “it’s maddening at times. Youre watching a rare show and next thing “I Love Lucy” is playing”.

DCW has the 74 Carlisle DCA show for sale. 5 DCA corps competing, one Sr corps and Troopers in exhibition. Guess which corps that can’t find the tape.... yep Casper...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

That just sounds so odd.  I don't blame a T.V. station for taping over the show.  Why would they care about preserving history of some "band show".  But DCI....!!??  It was their big show and there's tape of every other year's final performance.  We did a better show in Finals than Prelims and the prelims tape didn't capture the Color Guard work during drum solo, which was sheer perfection.

Still trying to digest this.  Ugh. 

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

That just sounds so odd.  I don't blame a T.V. station for taping over the show.  Why would they care about preserving history of some "band show".  But DCI....!!??  It was their big show and there's tape of every other year's final performance.  We did a better show in Finals than Prelims and the prelims tape didn't capture the Color Guard work during drum solo, which was sheer perfection.

Have the 1975 legacy dvd and during one of the corps a station id for a local PBS station pops up in the corner. Maybe that was one of the few copies in existence when they created the legacy series

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have the 1975 legacy dvd and during one of the corps a station id for a local PBS station pops up in the corner. Maybe that was one of the few copies in existence when they created the legacy series

Someone, somewhere in America or Canada probably has a copy on 8mm tape in their attic and have forgotten about it.  

16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I had a neighbor when I was growing up who worked for WGBH in Boston including the years DCI was first broadcast. He was on the business side of things but he knew I loved drum corps and told me all kinds of stories about broadcasting the first shows. Since I knew very little about broadcasting, most of the stories were lost on me, except I do recall making a snide remark about Gene Rayburn and his lovely wife Helen as hosts. I was a bit of a drum corps snob and did not think a game show host was worthy of broadcasting such a noble activity such as drum corps. Now I realize he was a huge name at the time and it was a huge accomplishment to land him. I do know Gene Rayburn summered on Cape Cod and was a member of the very exclusive Oyster Harbor Yacht Club as was the president of WGBH. I think that might be how he came to host the show.

This man used to claim that Public Television in general and WGBH specifically knew the value of what they were taping or filming and tried to save everything, which was uncommon at the time. I think people only started realizing the importance of archiving things when we realized what we’ve lost. I don’t blame DCI. If anything we’re lucky we have what we do. How DCI could not have known the importance in 1981 of taping the first Canadian finals is what I do not understand. I can understand broadcasting issues, but not failing to bring or employ a camera crew showed little thought, although the 1981 DCI Midwest DVD with some really imperfect shows is fun to watch, especially if you saw the corps later in the season. 

• Like 2

Which reminds me..... local PBS station used to show one hour show on 1975 27th Lancers before DCI for a few years. Wonder if that can be found and sold? One of the first inside looks on how a corps operates possibly.