Alright SCV...

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Corps D'etat...

Oh that's great! Surprised nobody used it back during the G7 debacle.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually, the book “Not for the Faint of Heart” chronicled his experiences during the JW era (97-99). It’s a good read of what life in the tenor line was like back then. 

Thank you for correcting me....my eyesight is not what it used to be so when I enlarged the image I could only see his SCVC patches and dates were murky. JW was close to a GR having marched under him in their dominant years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

My feeling is he was challenging the status quo but in his own delusional way. I think he was used to being the “big fish” when he was running that theater company. 

Thinking about knowing the Harrisburg theater manager who this guy replaced. As low key and quiet as you can get. If you wanted to talk to him you might as well go right up to him so you could hear him (that quiet). Met his dad a few times and both great examples of “gentlemen”. IOW polar opposite of what the vid showed....

28 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Thank you for correcting me....my eyesight is not what it used to be so when I enlarged the image I could only see his SCVC patches and dates were murky. JW was close to a GR having marched under him in their dominant years.

I'm not sure what happened, but Vanguard tied for 1st in '99.  Soon after, JWK was suddenly no longer the Director.  

Edited by Continental

Any idea how this guy was hired by SCV. Looking at his list of jobs and nothing I see says experience with the drum corps world, touring group or dealing with an organization with an annual budget as high as SCV. 

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any idea how this guy was hired by SCV. Looking at his list of jobs and nothing I see says experience with the drum corps world, touring group or dealing with an organization with an annual budget as high as SCV. 

I have no idea. But it could be as simple as a combination of the right timing and a good interview.

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

There are examples where people hired from outside did an amazing job. 

I.e. Alan Mullaly at Ford.  He had no automotive experience (was from Boeing) and he helped that company steer through one of the biggest financial hardships in it's history.

I think the difference with him was the fact that he had exceptional management skills.  He listened to people and had a knack for cutting through crap to get to the center of an issue.  He also developed a huge loyalty because he treated people were respect. 

• Thanks 1