The 1984 Thread

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

Bill Cook and his Cook Group did dozens of good deeds that many were never aware of.

Absolutely.  There were a large number of corps that they helped out financially and logistically over a lot of years.  But they were humble about it, and didn't get the credit they deserve.

2 hours ago, troopers1 said:

Absolutely.  There were a large number of corps that they helped out financially and logistically over a lot of years.  But they were humble about it, and didn't get the credit they deserve.

they didnt want the credit

On 8/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, Jeff Ream said:
they didnt want the credit

Yep.  Very impressive, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone recently posted an early season video of '84 Vanguard performing on June 8th in Riverside, California.

The show is quite solid for early season. 

Although portions of the show are missing guard work and final show flags,  the one big difference you will see is brass members pick up blue banners to use during the drum solo.

The top two scores are announced at the end of the video.  They beat Devils.

Edited by Continental

7 hours ago, Continental said:

Someone recently posted an early season video of '84 Vanguard performing on June 8th in Riverside, California.

Although portions of the show are missing guard work and final show flags,  the one big difference you will see is brass members pick up blue banners to use during the drum solo.

*Sigh*   That was as close to a home show as i got that year.

Also, the date is wrong....the first CA show was in Concord on June 16....this show is June 22.

If anyone has the BD run from that show, I'd appreciate seeing it  I used to have it, but it got lost a long time ago.

Edited by 84BDsop

2 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

*Sigh*   That was as close to a home show as i got that year.

Also, the date is wrong....the first CA show was in Concord on June 16....this show is June 22.

If anyone has the BD run from that show, I'd appreciate seeing it  I used to have it, but it got lost a long time ago.

Sorry, I should have checked fromthepressbox.com to make sure the date was correct.  I just took it from the title of the clip. 

Edited by Continental

On 8/31/2020 at 7:27 PM, Continental said:

Thanks for the post, Continental, it brings back a lot of memories and helps make up for the inept finals-night broadcast that year. I joined SCV just about a month before this show, to fill a French horn hole. I had quit drum corps two years before to pursue college, but a friend invited me back at the last minute. I remember my terror the first few shows, including this one, trying not frack or fall over while performing the most difficult book and drill I had ever marched, all with one month of practice. You can see me at the exact 10:00 mark, the right-most French horn with the cheesy mustache and anxious demeanor. 

I had totally forgotten about those blue flags the horn players were sporting. The flags got ditched after just a few shows, and the horn line got taught interpretive dance moves instead. Horn players learning to dance was one of those "Oh, so this is SCV" moments for me. 

The show remained amazingly intact throughout the season. T-Racer, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall any major drill or horn re-writes that summer. Mr. Royer and his crew knew what they were doing. The exception is the end of the show, which got re-written just about every week. New horn arrangements of the last couple phrases, sometimes twice in a day, and constant drill tweaks, and a slow evolution to the final "tableau" of horn poses by the end of the season. The very end of the show was remarkably difficult, requiring the horns to play at pianissimo at the front sideline, seconds after that long company front played, tunefully, at a lung-emptying volume. You can hear what a challenge it is on this video, when the intonation on the final note goes all to hell. 

But ####, overall, we were pretty impressive for so early in the season. 

50 minutes ago, quietcity said:

The show remained amazingly intact throughout the season. T-Racer, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall any major drill or horn re-writes that summer.

We didn't change our show a hell of a lot either, except for the very end...we were doing a reprise of the end of the opener until Modesto, the first show on 2nd tour.

Madison 84 is one of my favorite shows from the corps.  
In particular, Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters.
One of my favorite pieces they have ever played.
If Strawberry Soup was going to make a comeback this year, I would love for them to bring this back at some point as well. 

https://youtu.be/GaJm9FB9Oqc

Edited by Dmlkmen