Band Cancellation Tracking

Just now, hostrauser said:

Understandable. I only included them because they are such a major player/influence both locally and nationally.

Totally agree.  I expect an announcement from the state of OK when the impact is felt by other schools.

As of June 22nd, NESBA (New England Scholastic Band Association) listed a tentative schedule of dates but no schools as hosts. Right now Massachusetts is looking at opening schools in September and has guidelines but few schools have offered specifics regarding the opening of school. People I know involved in NESBA have not said much about a fall season, though I have not run into too many since there are no drum corps shows this year. 

Fall sports have not been cancelled yet in Massachusetts though a few schools have announced they will not be fielding teams. A football coach I know believes the season will be cancelled but no announcement has been made. A soccer coach I know believes there will be a modified early season and thinks there will not be winter sports due to a combination of a Corona surge and flu season. People seem to be all over the place regarding what will and won’t take place. For bands, would social distancing be possible in most band rooms? Would saliva be an issue for brass and woodwinds? Percussion would not be a problem nor would strings for schools that have orchestras. There are also other considerations. One being budget cuts. Music programs often get the ax when it comes to cuts. In elementary and middle schools,  students won’t be changing classes and as little hall movement will be recommended for high schools. Even with a tentative schedule, things do not look positive.

Tim mentioned budgets. Wonder if money being shifted to cleaning work to fight CV would be taken from extracurricular budgets.

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Tim mentioned budgets. Wonder if money being shifted to cleaning work to fight CV would be taken from extracurricular budgets.

With so many school districts laying off teachers, are funds being shifted, or do they not exist?

• Sad 1

Please try to stay on topic.  I am just trying to give everyone a single location to quickly check cancellations.

:soapbox:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, E3D said:

Not sure but I do know that Band Directors and staff will be the first cuts made. 

Art and music are always the first cuts. In Massachusetts, gym teachers who often do not feel the heat are concerned. With social distance requirements, some schools are using gyms for classroom space.

I am going to go a bit off topic here, and what I say could differ from state to state, but for all the music education majors, think carefully about what level you want for your certification. I know a young woman who has taught elementary music for about six years. She was recently pink slipped due to budget cuts, but was reinstated with a 4th classroom teaching position because her certification allowed it. Her secondary colleagues with secondary certification were not as fortunate because in order to get a classroom position, they had to have a certain number of credits in a subject matter such as English, math, etc. which most did not have. Elementary usually requires more education credits. It is also easier to be allowed to direct bands and choirs on the high school level with an elementary certification but not as easy to work at the elementary level with a secondary certification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KMEA (Kentucky) has stated that they have no ruling over regular season competitions, as these are at the discretion of each individual school. I've also heard that a few directors are looking into starting a circuit for the bands who we're continuing their season. I know the votes we're split among directors for SMBC, but thanks to the Marching Band Committee (and most of their seasons being cancelled already), here we are. I'll keep this post updated. 

The South Carolina Band Directors Association informed its members throughout the state Friday morning that the 2020 upper state, lower state and state championship contests will not be held due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/article244297947.html