Band Cancellation Tracking

5 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Thank you and updated.  Please let me know if you have a link for this one [Ohio Music Education Association's announcement].

There's no direct link on OMEA's page, but under COVID-19 Announcements ... Adjudicated Events ... Marching Band, this is what's posted:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Earlier today, July 20th, the OMEA Trustees voted not to sanction any local events in 2020, and to cancel OMEA State Marching Band Finals. This action was motivated by our desire to choose the safest possible course of action for all involved, specifically Ohio students, directors, and adjudicators. Please remember that OMEA has no jurisdiction over Local Events; OMEA simply sanctions them if they follow our guidelines and use our adjudicators, and they serve as qualifying events for State Marching Band Finals.

This fall, OMEA will offer the opportunity for bands to submit a video for critique and feedback from a reduced adjudicator panel, but there will be no rating. Details will be announced in August.

OMEA understands this is not a replacement for marching band adjudicated events. Our intent is to offer an opportunity for directors and programs to continue teaching, learning, and striving for excellence. Furthermore, it continues to underscore the relevance of music teachers and music programs in schools and communities across all of Ohio during these difficult times.

JD Latorre

OMEA Marching Band Affairs Chair

A couple personal notes. First, having been only a casual and occasional fan of drum corps for 20 years, I was moved by the cinema broadcast of Phantom Regiment's 2008 show to take a more thorough interest, and that eventually led me to DCP, where I lurked without joining until late 2009, finally signing up because someone here posted that they were selling some drum corps CDs that weren't available on DCI's website. And it was conversations on DCP that led my interest to expand past just DCI's World Class to actually attend both DCI's Open Class finals and DCA finals for every year since 2012. (Living in Ohio helps: both events have been within a half-day's drive or less each year.) It was also discussions here that led me to take an interest in marching bands, and eventually to attend OMEA's finals every year since 2014. That's four days every year with as many as 120-130 bands, and every year, I've seen all but one or two. The notable exception before now was 2017, when for the first time in the history of the event (which started in 1980), they had to cancel some performances due to weather (a half day lost due to tornadoes in November). And now the whole thing is canceled for 2020. For other reasons, I was thinking I might have to take a break this year; now that particular question has been decided for me.

Second, I overlapped JD in college by a couple years; we were in marching band together. We weren't close and didn't keep in touch afterwards, but after seeing his name in a finals program book, I remade his acquaintance. He teaches at a very small school southeast of Columbus, whose total enrollment is less than the size of just the bands at some other schools, and as my retired high school director told me about JD a couple years ago: "That guy knows how to put together a band."

Music for All just announced the cancellation of all Bands of America shows for 2020.

https://www.musicforall.org/music-for-all-statement-on-2020-bands-of-america-championships

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Music for All just announced the cancellation of all Bands of America shows for 2020.

https://www.musicforall.org/music-for-all-statement-on-2020-bands-of-america-championships

Thanks and updated.

57 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

watch the dominos fall

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TOB has updated to offering virtual only options for performance and review. No live events

3 hours ago, garfield said:

My hunch is that drum corps is done until Nov, '21 auditions for the '22 season.

With two possible vaccines from US manufacturers not to mention the Oxford research, I’d take a wait and see attitude. 

Though some on Facebook are predicting your hunch, we have to keep in mind there is no way BOA or any national organization could plan on a fall slate of competitions when so many schools will not be opening in August or September. You also can’t expect LOS to be a available when football may be played in empty stadiums. Now WGI, which competes earlier, could be in jeopardy, at least at the scholastic level. Independent could be a different story.

23 minutes ago, Tim K said:

With two possible vaccines from US manufacturers not to mention the Oxford research, I’d take a wait and see attitude. 

Though some on Facebook are predicting your hunch, we have to keep in mind there is no way BOA or any national organization could plan on a fall slate of competitions when so many schools will not be opening in August or September. You also can’t expect LOS to be a available when football may be played in empty stadiums. Now WGI, which competes earlier, could be in jeopardy, at least at the scholastic level. Independent could be a different story.

The money for WGI is in HS's not independents. Even if you have a just independent show, where will one have this?

We, in the activity are very connected to everything HS's offer, members, staff, show facilities, rehearsal facilities,  and much more. Everything that happens this fall will effect the winter and summer.

Edited by GUARDLING

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

TOB has updated to offering virtual only options for performance and review. No live events

Thx and updated.

• Like 1