Band Cancellation Tracking

4 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

There are an awful lot of bands waiting on US Bands right now. If they're going to call it, they need to do it soon.  Massachusetts has a 14-day mandatory quarantine for people entering from outside of New England/New York/New Jersey, so they could still technically make a season happen if US Bands operates, but I don't know how that would be deemed safe given any championship events in New Jersey would likely bring in bands from many other states that are on their quarantine list.

I heard last week that NESBA had pretty much decided it would cancel the season a few weeks back but planned on making the announcement after July 31st, the due date for Massachusetts school districts to submit reopening plans. I am not sure why they decided to announce it earlier. I know that athletics and extra curricular activities have become a thorn in the side for high schools as they plan the fall, so NESBA’s cancellation may be viewed as helpful. 

To the best of my knowledge, few if any NESBA bands compete in US Bands. The two Massachusetts bands I know of that compete in US Bands are Dartmouth HS (Tom Aungst) and King Philip (Ed Devin designs) and I think they pretty much compete within the states where it is safe to travel. However if any show was held in Massachusetts, I could see an academic group possibly, and I stress possibly getting a waiver, but it would be bus to field to compete then back to bus, go home. For actual shows, the Massachusetts requirements for stadiums, which would be similar to churches, museums, and other gathering places is no more than 40% capacity, and within that 40%, people must be six feet apart unless they live in the same household which turns out to be about 20% of the capacity. To use a venue people may be familiar with, Manning Field has a capacity of 4,000, 3,000 on the “home” side, 1,000 on the “away” side. 40% of home side is 1,200, not bad, but the home side, with social distancing would actually hold about 500, but the Commonwealth would not want such a large group so you’re actually looking at 300. Concession stands are not allowed unless handled by professionals, and I’m not certain souvenir booths would be allowed until Phase 4. So even if US Bands does not cancel, I don’t see how a show could be hosted in Massachusetts. 

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I heard last week that NESBA had pretty much decided it would cancel the season a few weeks back but planned on making the announcement after July 31st, the due date for Massachusetts school districts to submit reopening plans. I am not sure why they decided to announce it earlier. I know that athletics and extra curricular activities have become a thorn in the side for high schools as they plan the fall, so NESBA’s cancellation may be viewed as helpful. 

To the best of my knowledge, few if any NESBA bands compete in US Bands. The two Massachusetts bands I know of that compete in US Bands are Dartmouth HS (Tom Aungst) and King Philip (Ed Devin designs) and I think they pretty much compete within the states where it is safe to travel. However if any show was held in Massachusetts, I could see an academic group possibly, and I stress possibly getting a waiver, but it would be bus to field to compete then back to bus, go home. For actual shows, the Massachusetts requirements for stadiums, which would be similar to churches, museums, and other gathering places is no more than 40% capacity, and within that 40%, people must be six feet apart unless they live in the same household which turns out to be about 20% of the capacity. To use a venue people may be familiar with, Manning Field has a capacity of 4,000, 3,000 on the “home” side, 1,000 on the “away” side. 40% of home side is 1,200, not bad, but the home side, with social distancing would actually hold about 500, but the Commonwealth would not want such a large group so you’re actually looking at 300. Concession stands are not allowed unless handled by professionals, and I’m not certain souvenir booths would be allowed until Phase 4. So even if US Bands does not cancel, I don’t see how a show could be hosted in Massachusetts. 

Blackstone-Millville, Dartmouth, and King Philip Regional all host USBands shows, along with Cranston East in Rhode Island. Only about 15-20 Massachusetts bands in total have participated in USBands shows the past few years, according to my spreadsheet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, then if it’s untrue, take it up with the poster.  I just reacted to a situation. 

Am I wearing one of these today, or something?   🎯 

Well, 🎯 is where America shops, so could be. Or is that Sears? Is there a Sears anymore? Anyway:

Expect more; pay less!!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Continental said:

My language filter detection app has determined that the word behind the pounds sign is.....

"fish"

-dogs?

-frog?

-ring?

-etin?

-horn?

1 hour ago, Continental said:

My language filter detection app has determined that the word behind the pounds sign is.....

"fish"

I always thought the word was bull-frog. I learn something new everyday!

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, then if it’s untrue, take it up with the poster.  I just reacted to a situation. 

Am I wearing one of these today, or something?   🎯 

When I first read the "Its also bullbleep" I read it as what USbands Yea were doing to people was bullbleep. 

Now when you replied I read it as you did. Maybe I am right though and they are thinking Yea and USbands are bullbleep. 

Not to worry you should have no target as you say, you are reacting to the post.