Band Cancellation Tracking

On 8/5/2020 at 6:41 PM, MikeD said:

The thought of having marching band competitions in the spring just gave many band directors the vapors!

For a long time that was the norm in California, I don't know if it was ever common in the rest of the country. There was a Fall season AND a Spring season, band reviews, concerts, and field shows. The field shows started being dropped from Spring events in the 80s, IIRC, as DCI got more and more popular. Spring band reviews continued in the 90s and early 2000s, especially in NorCal. Now they are pretty much all gone, only one or two left.

14 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Does any one have updates for the following states?

AL -

DE - TOB?

GA -

HI - Possibly virtual only (per hostrauser)

ID - Waiting for USBands (per hostrauser)

IL - All Chicago-area shows cancelled. U of IL and ISU Shows cancelled (Per hostrauser)

MN -

MO - Assorted independent shows cancelled (Per hostrauser)

NC - Competitive season canceled in several counties (Per Newseditor44), North Carolina Bandmasters Association will not sanction any marching contests this fall. (Per MPutman)

RI - Waiting for USBands (per hostrauser)

SD -

UT -

WV - WV cancelled all band rehearsals til mid August. (Per Jeff Ream)

WY - Still Scheduled

DE and WV have TOB as the most active circuits. both may have some USbands, and maybe a little DE in Cavalcade. De cancelled fall sports, so I assume thats band too

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DE and WV have TOB as the most active circuits. both may have some USbands, and maybe a little DE in Cavalcade. De cancelled fall sports, so I assume thats band too

Thx.  Updates have been made.  I also found a bit more information for WV and have added the link on the first post.

I've heard whispers of KMEA (Kentucky) possibly trying to do some form of competitive marching band in the spring. No real leads right now, but I know of a few programs who are looking into using this as recruitment opportunity, labeling it as a "recruitment show".

On 8/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

Does any one have updates for the following states?

AL -

DE - TOB?

GA -

HI - Possibly virtual only (per hostrauser)

ID - Waiting for USBands (per hostrauser)

IL - All Chicago-area shows cancelled. U of IL and ISU Shows cancelled (Per hostrauser)

MN -

MO - Assorted independent shows cancelled (Per hostrauser)

NC - Competitive season canceled in several counties (Per Newseditor44), North Carolina Bandmasters Association will not sanction any marching contests this fall. (Per MPutman)

RI - Waiting for USBands (per hostrauser)

SD -

UT -

WV - WV cancelled all band rehearsals til mid August. (Per Jeff Ream)

WY - Still Scheduled

Last I checked the Peach State Marching competition held in Rome GA was still on for October 24.

PMEA, "Pennsylvania Music Educators Association", suspends all in person events for the 2020-21 school year:

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/08/pennsylvania-music-educators-association-suspends-all-in-person-student-events-for-2020-2021-school-year.html?fbclid=IwAR17D23qoo1qv-Dut7LwoTa0Ly7XFFdNSTt0vnaRJaQDtjzch8Dawg3U5J8

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Ouch.  The post has been updated.

• Sad 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:26 AM, hostrauser said:

For a long time that was the norm in California, I don't know if it was ever common in the rest of the country. There was a Fall season AND a Spring season, band reviews, concerts, and field shows. The field shows started being dropped from Spring events in the 80s, IIRC, as DCI got more and more popular. Spring band reviews continued in the 90s and early 2000s, especially in NorCal. Now they are pretty much all gone, only one or two left.

That's interesting.  I marching HS band in Southern California from 76 - 80 and then my sisters marched from 81 - 87.  We did field show competitions and band review in the fall and then concert festivals in the spring while drill team and flags did their own indoor competitions.  Not saying you're wrong, but we never knew anything about spring competitions.  Where were they?

On 8/5/2020 at 1:39 PM, keystone3ply said:

The new "Bands of America" umbrella:  DCI, DCA, WGI, USBands,  HS Bands, College Bands, Catina Bands, Dixieland Bands, Drum & Fife, Jazz Bands, Jug Bands, String Bands, Brass Bands, Woodwind Bands, Drum Bands, Tambourine Bands, All-Girl Bands, Rock Bands, Metal Bands, Hair Bands, Country Bands, Country & Western Bands, Harmonica Bands, Tribute Bands, Garage Bands, Cover Bands, Christian Bands, Worship Bands, Gospel Bands, Studio Bands, House Bands, Concert Bands, & Orchestra Bands.  Oh, add Bag Pipe Bands.  I'm sure I missed a few...  
:dancin:  

Wedding bands, jug bands, ska bands, studio bands, boy bands, klezmer bands,, jam bands, military bands.

Band saws, banned bands, banned books, banned movies, contrabands, househusbands, broadbands (AKA girl bands), Band of Brothers.

Watchbands, sweatbands, wristbands, waistbands, armbands, hairbands.

And last but not least, our muy caliente amigos from the south, the saraband (or sarabande if you're fancy).

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

well i know all of those uniforms

• Like 1