The 2000 Thread

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

I just listened today to Bluecoats. Do you know who wrote their drumline? Obviously it wasn't Thurston but I feel like it's a Thurston-inspired vibe. Then again, it was jazz(y)...

Dan Delong wrote the battery book ( or...ok..in some areas lifted from 96 Westshore)....who marched Crossmen in 85, taught with Mark there 86-88, and then when he took over Westshore in 89, Mark wrote for us in 89, 90, and part of 95 and 96.( cause wll those sections came from 89 and 90), so yeah the vibe is noticable and the lineage easy to follow. Jim Weaver wrote the front ensemble ( Cadets 93, 95). same team for 01

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I agree in Southwind. Who didn't belong IMO was Madison.

Having just seen Southwind's show for the first time, while I enjoyed the design, it seems dirtier than Bluecoats to me. Haven't seen Madison's show in a while, though.

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Saturday...the tie. Cavies and cadets brought their A game. over the last 20 years I have gone back and forth over which one should have won and now...#### it.....they were both great. Bd a solid 3rd all hyped up when Bass 2 ran on the field as they played the warmup, SCV bringing down the house with Adagio...holy #### that was loud....and Boston Top 5 Live! Holy hell from first time finalist in 99 to on PBS live a year later....they owned the crowd. Also...the last great audience participation for ..|.|...BK again on fire...the rest of the group pretty much where they had been.

I had to read that three times before realizing what it meant. Was that orthography ever used prior to "S.O.S."?

10 hours ago, Continental said:

I saw Cadets live in early August that year.  Vanguard performed before them at the same show. 

I remember all the early season hype and the recordings released before the tour.  There was so much hype for the music they were doing.

There was a lot that was changed between the pre-season recordings and the time before I saw them. All the while people were following the move to all-inclusive brass.   Was it any better?

I walked away from the show feeling that Vanguard blew the house down and Cadets brass was just not as powerful.  At that point I felt that all-inclusive brass might not have been the best of changes.  

I know Cadets were good in 2000.  I just didn't think they were the cat's meow. 

I know from a friend at the Cadets that they purchased off-the-shelf Yamaha Bb/F brass, which in those days did not have the bore size and other improvements made since then to marching brass. I thought most of the brass sounded just fine from the mellos down, but the trumpets seemed a bit thin in timbre as compared to the G sops others used that year. 

But I LOVED their show, and the corps performed the heck out of it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I had to read that three times before realizing what it meant. Was that orthography ever used prior to "S.O.S."?

i believe i first saw it around 2015.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Continental said:

2000 Boston Crusaders.

I miss these uniforms.

These uniforms were 7 years old at the time. They were made of wool, very heavy, hot, and quite bulky. The members looked "baggy" despite the uniform folks' best efforts.  Another fun fact for BAC 2000:  Their move-in that year was in my hometown of Biddeford, Maine, and amazingly, Boston's first show wasn't until July 4th in Beverly, MA.  One final personal note:  The tenor player on the end was a 17 year old kid from the band that I taught.  He went on to march 5 years including aging out as DM.  Now, all these years later, he is the General Manager of the Ford dealership where I work so he is my boss! 

• Like 4

On 7/20/2020 at 10:51 PM, Chief Guns said:

I do wonder how things turn out if BDs percussion showed up that year. Finals night, BD tied with Cadets in GE, Took first in Visual Ensemble, 2nd in brass beating Cavies.......they were toe to toe across the captions with Cadets/Cavies.........until percussion. 6th place on finals night. That did them in. 

So is this the year BD had kicked out a drummer who then ran onto the field and still performed his show and staff couldn't stop him or something like that? BD had a great show, as did everyone in the top 6. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MikeD said:

I know from a friend at the Cadets that they purchased off-the-shelf Yamaha Bb/F brass, which in those days did not have the bore size and other improvements made since then to marching brass. I thought most of the brass sounded just fine from the mellos down, but the trumpets seemed a bit thin in timbre as compared to the G sops others used that year. 

But I LOVED their show, and the corps performed the heck out of it. 

I agree with you. The Cadets show in 2000 is certainly one of my favorite from them. A drum corps classic! They performed the heck out of it, although at Finals I felt they had some trouble getting things locked in. In Quarters and Semis they looked great and I thought they were the clear winner. But on Finals you have to give credit to Cavaliers for performing their best show to grab that tie. 

As for the brass, those trumpets were garbage for field. It's amazing they won high brass (I suspect mostly on the technical merit and musicality), but when they let loose during the big moments you could hear the poor quality of those instruments. Thin, pinched, and they had to push them so hard to get the bigger sound.

I still say to this day that the G bugle is a better outdoor instrument for field, but -- and this is a big issue -- the instrument needs to be made well. Kanstul has produced some winners with 2 and 3 valves. Having said that I totally understand why the corps made the switch to Bb/F brass. Thankfully Yamaha, King and others have worked with the corps to produce a quality of instrument that works for field. That and the increase in numbers to roughly 80+ brass has given drum corps a much bigger, better, and more in-tune/controlled sound. The same could be done with G Bugles but you need a manufacturer doing excellent work and who is not going to go out of business as Kanstul did.