The 2000 Thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, Continental said:

I saw Cadets live in early August that year.  Vanguard performed before them at the same show. 

I remember all the early season hype and the recordings released before the tour.  There was so much hype for the music they were doing.

There was a lot that was changed between the pre-season recordings and the time before I saw them. All the while people were following the move to all-inclusive brass.   Was it any better?

I walked away from the show feeling that Vanguard blew the house down and Cadets brass was just not as powerful.  At that point I felt that all-inclusive brass might not have been the best of changes.  

I know Cadets were good in 2000.  I just didn't think they were the cat's meow. 

On 7/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, jwillis35 said:

Now I actually did love Cadets in 2000, but I hated those trumpets. Total garbage for field. Now Cadets 2001 is a different story and you can hear it in the brass line. They had one hell of a brass and percussion line in 2001 as well. Could have won both captions. I think they won high brass all season until Finals, and they did win Percussion. I'll save some of my thoughts on this for the 2001 season thread.

Y'all are gonna stop bashing 2000 Cadets (and I played one of those "garbage" trumpets). 

• Like 1

2000 finals night was my 'return to fandom' after having followed corps in the 80s during my band marching years and then fading way during college as life happened. I would fade away again until 2014 it seemed.  My return in 2000 was largely a product of 1) a friend from Madison whose parents went to finals every year rekindled my interest and 2) finals were in my backyard...literally.

I believe I've shared this story before but 2000 was a rough year for me with my grandmother passing away on January 1 and the circumstances of her home church staffing meant I ended up needing to be 'the pastor' for my family through that rather than 'the grandson.'  She was a big figure in our family and very much a "glue" that held us together. In order to be 'the pastor' and then get through a number of other things going on in my life, I sort of had to shut down my own grieving and barrel on.  That became an ingrained thing until Thursday of finals week when SCV's show tore everything open with that Adagio.  I drove home humming that (despite the fantastic shows that followed) and feeling everything that'd been on me.  

As I'm one of those "watch and cheer every corps" people Thursday had been a long day.  Although it's always super fun to be there in the freshness of the morning with just handful of avid parents and staff for the opening corps and cheering on their shows as they left everything on the field one last time.  Anyway, Friday I opted to sleep in a bit before going in for Semis.  I was living in an apartment in the back buildings of a complex in Laurel, Maryland.  Over a hill was a football field for the middle school that was beyond that. I'd typically take a walk upon waking up and go along the main drag to the entrance of the complex then turn back and go all the way back on that drive to the circle loop that went up to the middle school which took me back to my apartment.   That morning, I woke still humming the Adagio and let it ring in my ears as I started my walk. It was strong, emotional, and one of those "I swear I could actually hear it," things.  As I get back to the middle school I discover...I actually was hearing it.  SVC was housed at the middle school and rehearsing the ballad that morning working on getting that rifle toss timing perfected as it'd nearly gone out of the end zone on Thursday night. Otherwise, they were just working on tone and volume and saving their chops for the semis run.  So I went to the back fence (they'd set up scaffolding on the back side as the stands weren't really stands enough for staff viewing) and just sat there listening, feeling, and finally crying for first time in months.  Obviously they were my favorite show of all those great shows that year.

I was sitting with my friend's family who were all Madison homers and frankly, a bit embarrassed by Madison's show that year.  They kids performed the heck out of it, but they were donors and had a window into what was going on with Madison but not sharing much other than their dismay at what it was doing to the corps. We all loved Southwind and that show had all the buttons but they did seem a bit dirty.  I was pulling for Bluecoats as one of my high school classmates and friends marched with them in the late 80s after graduating before me when they had broken in to finals.  But we all wanted them both.  It was sort of an unspoken thing on my row that "Madison should probably be in that conversation too." 

The crowd ate up BAC.  Red was such a memorable show.  It was a fairly rowdy crowd all three nights and they'd been hyping the start of the telecast, but we'd be hushing each other before the start of that Bolero opening and numerous, "Whew! Woo!" yells would start to punctuate the dance as it grew.  The corps thrived on the crowd energy and performed that show better each night.  Finals night we were all hushing each other before the singing of in Con te Partiro again and you could have heard a pin drop as they sang.  Because we weren't into the full blown electronics era just yet, they had to project with their voices for the blend and volume after having blown their brains out with the top half of the show.  It was so electric.  Yelling for the hits made me happy as someone who'd played Conquest for a show in high school and had that become part of our parents' boosters crowd repertoire.  They picked it up from some alumni who'd come back to their tiny but always good Class D Indiana band as staff after marching BAC in the 80s.  They were sitting in the middle of our band boosters at some show and when they heard us open with the trumpet calls of Conquest, they LIT UP and our parents of course loved them for that.  They did the grunts on the shots with everything in their bodies and our parents were like "who are these nuts?"  So they got talking and learned of BACs tradition on that and there we had it.  So when BAC hit those shots, I was just completing the circle.

I was the only one in our row who was saying "Cadets" on finals night it seemed. The Madison crew I was with said "Cavies" although everyone felt they were both phenomenal and it was gonna be super close.  The tie didn't bother me as I'd been 'away' from DCI and didn't have the feeling of it being annoying. I was sort of taken aback by the energy of the "no more ties" chant as it built as, frankly, I totally could see it as a tie.  I loved that Cadets show though. The whole "oh that was good but look at what we can do!" bravado was one 'holy crap did you just see that crazy thing they did?' moment after another.  By finals night, I'd picked up on the really excellent way they'd put in touches to guide you where to see the next 'crazy thing' and was hopping on the seat as they transitioned around the field doing their thing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I was the only one in our row who was saying "Cadets" on finals night it seemed. The Madison crew I was with said "Cavies" although everyone felt they were both phenomenal and it was gonna be super close.  The tie didn't bother me as I'd been 'away' from DCI and didn't have the feeling of it being annoying. I was sort of taken aback by the energy of the "no more ties" chant as it built as, frankly, I totally could see it as a tie.  I loved that Cadets show though. The whole "oh that was good but look at what we can do!" bravado was one 'holy crap did you just see that crazy thing they did?' moment after another.  By finals night, I'd picked up on the really excellent way they'd put in touches to guide you where to see the next 'crazy thing' and was hopping on the seat as they transitioned around the field doing their thing.

I loved the Cadets 2000 and I thought they won. I could understand the tie though. I thought first part of Cadets show was not as clean as the night before. Still, that is one of my favorite Cadets of all. It a great show from music, visual, thematic and performance standpoint. It's entertaining and has some classic feel good moments. 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:40 PM, DFA1970 said:

I know the Cadets didn't lose but still I would think it was a bit deflating going undefeated all year and still have co-champs. They do have the captions awards based on the three combined shows. Maybe it should have been that way at least if there was a score tie for 1st on finals night. BD didn't go undefeated in 96 or 99.

It hurt. Badly.

Just kidding. We all felt we had a rough night when we lined up after the show. But we were glad it was over. As much fun as that season had been, for me, even though I would have aged out in 2002, I was ready to be done with drum corps. August 12th was my very last show. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, Continental said:

2000 Cadets - High Camera

A great reminder of 

1.  What an incredible show this was

2. The insane degree to which multi-angle choices mangle the presentation of a show.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, Continental said:

I saw Cadets live in early August that year.  Vanguard performed before them at the same show. 

I remember all the early season hype and the recordings released before the tour.  There was so much hype for the music they were doing.

There was a lot that was changed between the pre-season recordings and the time before I saw them. All the while people were following the move to all-inclusive brass.   Was it any better?

I walked away from the show feeling that Vanguard blew the house down and Cadets brass was just not as powerful.  At that point I felt that all-inclusive brass might not have been the best of changes.  

I know Cadets were good in 2000.  I just didn't think they were the cat's meow. 

No one really likes cats. :lol:

But 2000 Garfield on the other hand were really that good. 

22 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Cadets 2000 legendary Alamodome performance: 

I see the cat's out of the bag. Superfan has been FOUND!