Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Interesting ... I thought for sure they had at least one more undefeated season, but 2000 looks like it was the only one. Even 2005, which to that point tied Cavies for highest score in history, was a season where they started nearly three points behind the Cavies.

Think they lost seven times to Cavies in 2005. Didn't beat them until July 30th i believe. Only one of the four 99+ shows that didn't go unbeaten. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I chimed in on 1999, so I might as well for 2000 as well.  It was my age out year and I think we were all ready to move on from '99. Almost the entire brass staff was new and was Gino's first yea

Ok fine. I see the OT police are here. i don’t know if you have conversations, but they often veer in different directions.  At least, we were still talking about drum corps and not Rona.  🙄  

These uniforms were 7 years old at the time. They were made of wool, very heavy, hot, and quite bulky. The members looked "baggy" despite the uniform folks' best efforts.  Another fun fact for BAC 200

14 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Interesting ... I thought for sure they had at least one more undefeated season, but 2000 looks like it was the only one. Even 2005, which to that point tied Cavies for highest score in history, was a season where they started nearly three points behind the Cavies.

Yes, Cadets won every show in 2000 and then tied with Cavaliers at Finals. Garfield/The Cadets were not the type of corps to have undefeated seasons. It often took them some time to get their shows to championship level whether they won or not. Often when you saw them early season in the 80s and 90s they were quite dirty. I honestly loved watching some of those shows. It was neat to see them early season back in the day and wonder if they could clean the show.

Edited by jwillis35
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Yes, Cadets won every show in 2000 and then tied with Cavaliers at Finals. Garfield/The Cadets were not the type of corps to have undefeated seasons. It often took them some time to get their shows to championship level whether they won or not. Often when you saw them early season in the 80s and 90s they were quite dirty. I honestly loved watching some of those shows. It was neat to see them early season back in the day and wonder if they could clean the show.

I know the Cadets didn't lose but still I would think it was a bit deflating going undefeated all year and still have co-champs. They do have the captions awards based on the three combined shows. Maybe it should have been that way at least if there was a score tie for 1st on finals night. BD didn't go undefeated in 96 or 99.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

I know the Cadets didn't lose but still I would think it was a bit deflating going undefeated all year and still have co-champs. They do have the captions awards based on the three combined shows. Maybe it should have been that way at least if there was a score tie for 1st on finals night. BD didn't go undefeated in 96 or 99.

Color Guard scores did not become part of the overall score until 2000 correct? I only ask cause BD would have won outright in 96 and 99 if they was. Unless there is another determining factor I am missing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Color Guard scores did not become part of the overall score until 2000 correct? I only ask cause BD would have won outright in 96 and 99 if they was. Unless there is another determining factor I am missing. 

Yes color guard got their own judged caption in 2000. Before that it was a special award like best drum major. It was considered part of the overall visual score but 2000 judges were assigned to just the guard which was very long overdue. To me the guard that really changed from past guards is Spirit of Atlanta guard from 1986. That guard was very ahead of its time. Example of this from YouTube. I never scene a guard doing this where the males take their shirts off.

 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yes color guard got their own judged caption in 2000. Before that it was a special award like best drum major. It was considered part of the overall visual score but 2000 judges were assigned to just the guard which was very long overdue. To me the guard that really changed from past guards is Spirit of Atlanta guard from 1986. That guard was very ahead of its time. Example of this from YouTube. I never scene a guard doing this where the males take their shirts off.

 

Thanks! I just learned something. Very much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, DFA1970 said:

Yes color guard got their own judged caption in 2000. Before that it was a special award like best drum major. It was considered part of the overall visual score but 2000 judges were assigned to just the guard which was very long overdue.

I remember one of my college roommates, who attended an all-boys high school, saying that his school's band opted not to compete because they didn't have a guard and knew they'd be penalized for it -- at that time, men were rarely seen in high school guards -- but then, as now, I think in many, perhaps most, marching band circuits, the color guard score was not counted toward the overall score, although visual and general effect judges certainly take the guard into account. In BOA, I don't believe guard even has its own judge, but a band with a weak guard, or no guard, will certainly get a lower score.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Typo.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Color Guard scores did not become part of the overall score until 2000 correct? I only ask cause BD would have won outright in 96 and 99 if they was. Unless there is another determining factor I am missing. 

Blue Devils are famous for designing their shows to the sheets and maximizing their scores, but the implication of what you note is that in 1996 and 1996 wasted some effort on guard, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, East9900 said:

I chimed in on 1999, so I might as well for 2000 as well. 

It was my age out year and I think we were all ready to move on from '99. Almost the entire brass staff was new and was Gino's first year. 

When we were told we were playing Disney, the first reaction was "Oh, great...". But then we found out what it really was. From the moment we heard it, we were all in. There was a completely different vibe that entire year. Gino's approach was absolute night and day from what we dealt with in 99. 

The overall summer was much more enjoyable. If not for '99, I don't think I would have appreciated 2000 as much. 

One of the most memorable performances for me was actually early in the season... I believe it was Normal, IL. It was mostly a band crowd. That crowd went absolutely bananas and we ate it up. I just remember almost everything we did they screamed and cheered for. I felt like a rock star haha. 

I was bummed that we weren't using G bugles as I really loved the sound, but embraced the move to Bb. (Many seem to forget that BD was also Bb in 2000) The instruments were obviously brand new, so that certainly was an improvement. I know many didn't like the sound of the trumpets, and as a trumpet player I understand. I was playing 2nd so I like to blame it on the leads haha. The 2nds were nails (Tek will agree to that!). 

As for Finals, it definitely wasn't our best show. While coming off the field in 99 felt like magic, 2000 did not quite feel that same energy. I don't think any of us expected that outcome, especially since the previous year had also ended in a tie. Brandt knew that the result would make people angry and his attempt to make it less so only made it more confusing. At the time I thought he just may have forgotten to announce 2nd place, but when he added "..and the Cavaliers" I knew the fans were NOT going to be happy and they weren't. Once the shock had subsided I congratulated the Cavies as well and they did the same for us. They seemed to be just in as much shock as we were. We were both champs (although we were the only undefeated corps that year). The cool part was that we each got to do an encore. We went into the stands and cheered for them and when it was our turn they did the same for us. It was a great night. 

 

Been a while since I posted on this forum. 

I remember 2000 like it was yesterday. and that Normal, IL show is the one I will remember the most. I also remember how those band kids were going bonkers less than a minute before the end of the opener. Honestly, I wasn't really a fan of our show until probably San Antonio. I didn't really think it was a "Cadets" show and I really didn't understand why the crowd loved it and how we were able to go undefeated until Cavies tied with us. Now, I am grateful to have marched 2000 given my horrible rookie year at Cadets in 1999. 

One of the guys who marched with us found Superfan and finally got all that precious rehearsal footage from the 90s and I cannot WAIT until he sends us footage from 2000. 

 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, Jeff Ream said:

way back in June at Normal. 

We beat Cavies at Normal. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, DFA1970 said:

Yes color guard got their own judged caption in 2000. Before that it was a special award like best drum major. It was considered part of the overall visual score but 2000 judges were assigned to just the guard which was very long overdue. To me the guard that really changed from past guards is Spirit of Atlanta guard from 1986. That guard was very ahead of its time. Example of this from YouTube. I never scene a guard doing this where the males take their shirts off.

 

I had forgotten how much I liked this show...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.