WGI season?

15 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I'm confident of a couple things:
1. There will be no WGI or DCI in 2021.
2. When we do get the activity back, it's going to look much different than it was when we left it. 

The world as we know it is much different since Dec. 2019. It's gonna be at least for me a very long time to go to an event like a concert or sporting event with back to back people. And yes that includes Drum corp.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

Pandemics have lifespans, just like anything else. The H1N1 Influenza of 1918-1919 ended without a vaccine. Polio outbreaks ended without vaccines for many years. The original SARS coronavirus outbreak in 2002 ended without a vaccine (there still isn't one: COVID is basically SARS 2.0).

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus. But this pandemic will end at some point even if there isn't.

I agree that WGI is probably sunk for Winter/Spring 2021. But I expect by Summer 2021 things will be "returning" to normal (there will be permanent changes from this, no doubt, but perhaps not as widespread and drastic as many fear).

in these times i rule nothing out

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

Pandemics have lifespans, just like anything else. The H1N1 Influenza of 1918-1919 ended without a vaccine. Polio outbreaks ended without vaccines for many years. The original SARS coronavirus outbreak in 2002 ended without a vaccine (there still isn't one: COVID is basically SARS 2.0).

There has never been a vaccine for any coronavirus. But this pandemic will end at some point even if there isn't.

I agree that WGI is probably sunk for Winter/Spring 2021. But I expect by Summer 2021 things will be "returning" to normal (there will be permanent changes from this, no doubt, but perhaps not as widespread and drastic as many fear).

Everything that happens with WGI and band season will have a direct affect on DCI. DCI needs both those parts of the activity to even slightly move forward. IF schools are not on board, areas of the country, facilities, travel etc etc. DCI will not be immune to it. This fall will call the shots on many things.

• Like 2

Article: "Don't Expect Concerts Before 2022..."  Executive states that he believes delay will last until late 2021 or 2022.  :unsure:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/marc-geiger-dont-expect-concerts-before-2022-lefsetz-1234709641/?fbclid=IwAR02SHgBHQML5ZTjRSErW9_IoyMemnDxcTLJouplUy6PvU-hxZxuA5xK2RY

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Everything that happens with WGI and band season will have a direct affect on DCI. DCI needs both those parts of the activity to even slightly move forward. IF schools are not on board, areas of the country, facilities, travel etc etc. DCI will not be immune to it. This fall will call the shots on many things.

I think it's reasonable to plan for "late year" audition schedules, or maybe early next year  -  spring break auditions? - to save some sort of tour for 2021.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, garfield said:

I think it's reasonable to plan for "late year" audition schedules, or maybe early next year  -  spring break auditions? - to save some sort of tour for 2021.

The problem is, where? If schools put the brakes on programs they surely  are not going to let in any independent come , rehearsal sites are slim and costly as it is. This is part of what I mean when I say HS programs will call the shots and that will filter through the entire activity. The meetings many corps are having are with hope for sure BUT the possibility of no 2021 is also a part of the discussion.,

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

From what I understand aren’t most corps keeping the members that made it for the 2020 season? Of course, they’ll lose some from attrition. But video auditions could work for those spots. The current members have had the show material for quite some time (as most, if not all corps are keeping their shows), and some camps/meetings/rehearsals can be done virtually. Realistically DCI could have till next Spring to make any decisions regarding 2021. A lot can happen in eight/nine months, we’ve only been going through our current hell for five. Just trying to stay positive. A vaccine or medicine could change the community outlook in a very short period of time.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

The problem is, where? If schools put the brakes on programs they surely  are not going to let in any independent come , rehearsal sites are slim and costly as it is. This is part of what I mean when I say HS programs will call the shots and that will filter through the entire activity. The meetings many corps are having are with hope for sure BUT the possibility of no 2021 is also a part of the discussion.,

agreed. if this thing is still more than a small stat daily, no school will let outside groups in

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dans said:

I have a feeling that the outcome of November 3, 2020 will determine how quickly we get back to normal.

Does that include the daily number of deaths and new cases? That’s the only thing I follow. Bag politics, I’m only concerned with the human toll.

And hitting 1000 deaths each of the last two days is going to be another reason that extracurriculars like guard and drum corps are not coming back for a long while.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1