13th Place

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For ease of reference, here's the list (source: From the Pressbox) of all 12th and 13th place corps in the show immediately preceding Finals:

1980 -- North Star 12th 79.35 -- Troopers 13th 77.05

1980 was actually North Star 12th 79.35 - Blue Stars 13th 77.05. 

20 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Crossmen 1979.

Troopers were great in 12th place, but Crossmen should have been somewhere around 8th place.

I did not see the Troopers prelims show in 1979, but understand it was spectacular. I did see the Crossmen's show from the side of the field and thought they gave a pretty underwhelming performance. Gene Monterastelli seemed to really like the Troopers that day 🙂, which should be no surprise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

1980 was actually North Star 12th 79.35 - Blue Stars 13th 77.05. 

And then North Star moved in finals.

And interesting rumor about 1980.  There was talk that Guardsmen made finals because the powers-that-be had the strange belief that they had a better chance of survival than Blue Stars.  😳

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

And then North Star moved in finals.

And interesting rumor about 1980.  There was talk that Guardsmen made finals because the powers-that-be had the strange belief that they had a better chance of survival than Blue Stars.  😳

Who knows. It was so hot that day in Birmingham and the Blue Stars went on last in prelims, I don't think the show was as good as it could have been. The recaps show it was not one caption that held the Blue Stars back, it was a pretty solid across the board 13th place show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I did not see the Troopers prelims show in 1979, but understand it was spectacular. I did see the Crossmen's show from the side of the field and thought they gave a pretty underwhelming performance. Gene Monterastelli seemed to really like the Troopers that day 🙂, which should be no surprise. 

I didn’t see either corps at prelims; we went on late in the day, but when we heard Crossmen were out, we were shocked.

20 hours ago, Tony L. said:

As there is no DCI to watch this summer I have decided to take a look back at some 13th  vs.  12th place shows from past season.  Particularly to see who got "robbed".  Any recommendations for particularly egregious years?  

My first thought was 2017 Mandarins.  I will rewatch and see if I still believe that.

Agreed!

3 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

Who knows. It was so hot that day in Birmingham and the Blue Stars went on last in prelims, I don't think the show was as good as it could have been. The recaps show it was not one caption that held the Blue Stars back, it was a pretty solid across the board 13th place show. 

I am a Guardsmen alumna.   It was just a rumor floating around, like crazy rumors tended to do back than. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I am a Guardsmen alumna.   It was just a rumor floating around, like crazy rumors tended to do back than. 

It’s especially strange since Guardsmen barely made it onto the field a few years earlier.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer