Jump to content

13th Place


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For ease of reference, here's the list (source: From the Pressbox) of all 12th and 13th place corps in the show immediately preceding Finals:

1980 -- North Star 12th 79.35 -- Troopers 13th 77.05

 

1980 was actually North Star 12th 79.35 - Blue Stars 13th 77.05. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Crossmen 1979.

Troopers were great in 12th place, but Crossmen should have been somewhere around 8th place.

I did not see the Troopers prelims show in 1979, but understand it was spectacular. I did see the Crossmen's show from the side of the field and thought they gave a pretty underwhelming performance. Gene Monterastelli seemed to really like the Troopers that day 🙂, which should be no surprise. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

1980 was actually North Star 12th 79.35 - Blue Stars 13th 77.05. 

And then North Star moved in finals.

And interesting rumor about 1980.  There was talk that Guardsmen made finals because the powers-that-be had the strange belief that they had a better chance of survival than Blue Stars.  😳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

And then North Star moved in finals.

And interesting rumor about 1980.  There was talk that Guardsmen made finals because the powers-that-be had the strange belief that they had a better chance of survival than Blue Stars.  😳

Who knows. It was so hot that day in Birmingham and the Blue Stars went on last in prelims, I don't think the show was as good as it could have been. The recaps show it was not one caption that held the Blue Stars back, it was a pretty solid across the board 13th place show. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I did not see the Troopers prelims show in 1979, but understand it was spectacular. I did see the Crossmen's show from the side of the field and thought they gave a pretty underwhelming performance. Gene Monterastelli seemed to really like the Troopers that day 🙂, which should be no surprise. 

I didn’t see either corps at prelims; we went on late in the day, but when we heard Crossmen were out, we were shocked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tony L. said:

As there is no DCI to watch this summer I have decided to take a look back at some 13th  vs.  12th place shows from past season.  Particularly to see who got "robbed".  Any recommendations for particularly egregious years?  

My first thought was 2017 Mandarins.  I will rewatch and see if I still believe that.

Agreed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

Who knows. It was so hot that day in Birmingham and the Blue Stars went on last in prelims, I don't think the show was as good as it could have been. The recaps show it was not one caption that held the Blue Stars back, it was a pretty solid across the board 13th place show. 

I am a Guardsmen alumna.   It was just a rumor floating around, like crazy rumors tended to do back than. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I am a Guardsmen alumna.   It was just a rumor floating around, like crazy rumors tended to do back than. 

It’s especially strange since Guardsmen barely made it onto the field a few years earlier.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...