13th Place

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I am a Guardsmen alumna.   It was just a rumor floating around, like crazy rumors tended to do back than. 

Back in the 70s and 80s there was a conspiracy attached to almost every corps. Who made who mad. Which corps instructor was in a relationship with which judge. It went on and on. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mcjordansc said:

1980 was actually North Star 12th 79.35 - Blue Stars 13th 77.05. 

Thank you. Fixed. It's wrong on the 1980 scores page at From the Pressbox, although the 1980 recaps download at From the Pressbox has it correct. I see that Troopers would have been in 13th place, but they had a larger penalty (0.7 for them; 0.2 for Blue Stars). In Prelims, all but one corps in the top twelve (the only exception being Phantom Regiment) and all but three corps in the top seventeen had penalties. In Finals, the only two corps not to be penalized were 27th Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard. If not for a 0.2 penalty, Bridgemen would have tied 27th for the silver medal.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thank you. Fixed. It's wrong on the 1980 scores page at From the Pressbox, although the 1980 recaps download at From the Pressbox has it correct. I see that Troopers would have been in 13th place, but they had a larger penalty (0.7 for them; 0.2 for Blue Stars). In Prelims, all but one corps in the top twelve (the only exception being Phantom Regiment) and all but three corps in the top seventeen had penalties. In Finals, the only two corps not to be penalized were 27th Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard. If not for a 0.2 penalty, Bridgemen would have tied 27th for the silver medal.

Some very interesting results in those Prelims recaps. Kudos to the Defenders, who were the fourth group to perform but finished in 18th place, beating 26 other corps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

And then North Star moved in finals.

And interesting rumor about 1980.  There was talk that Guardsmen made finals because the powers-that-be had the strange belief that they had a better chance of survival than Blue Stars.  😳

I recall 1980 Guardsmen starting out with a really small horn line - they did only 1 side of the drill (side 2?) & over the tour recruited the other half of the horn line.

2 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

I did not see the Troopers prelims show in 1979, but understand it was spectacular. I did see the Crossmen's show from the side of the field and thought they gave a pretty underwhelming performance. Gene Monterastelli seemed to really like the Troopers that day 🙂, which should be no surprise. 

This is an outtake from Troopers Hell Bent for Victory movie - contains Brass GE tape from 1979.

Anyway - Crossmen had beaten Troopers something like 6 times that season.  Troopers beat Crossmen once - when it counted.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah 78.  A lot of people don’t know that story. 

Is that a story that you can share?

1 hour ago, CHRISP said:

Is that a story that you can share?

We had a terrible winter after missing finals in 77.  Everybody bailed except a few dozen diehard loyalists,  like me.  Just a disaster until the spring.  The corps hired Tim Salzman and Scott Wagner on brass and the Fox Valley Raiders closed up shop.  Tons of them came up to Schaumburg and saved us.  Talented kids.  What was very satisfying about 78 was that several Guardsmen went up to Racine and we ended up whooping their ### most of the season.  Three pointed them in finals.   Ahhh that felt good.  😂

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall 1980 Guardsmen starting out with a really small horn line - they did only 1 side of the drill (side 2?) & over the tour recruited the other half of the horn line.

That was 82.  They still had a very strong line in 80.    After Tim left... (insert sad trombone sound here) 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was 82.  They still had a very strong line in 80.    After Tim left... (insert sad trombone sound here) 

I think they did that in 81 also if memory serves me.