13th Place

46 minutes ago, CHRISP said:

I think they did that in 81 also if memory serves me.

They still had good size In 81.  I remember because they played Magic Flea. I’m a big Count Basie fan. 

i think Dennis Drews was the brass guy with them then.  Great French Horn guy with Madison way back when.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, 84BDsop said:

I've always loved that show....the backfield mellos at the end of Madre de la Terra....mmmmmmmmm....

Yeah, the ending of Madre through the closer (Escapades of Pan) was pretty special for us during that performance.

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thank you. Fixed. It's wrong on the 1980 scores page at From the Pressbox, although the 1980 recaps download at From the Pressbox has it correct.

And From the Pressbox now has also made this correction.

2 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Yeah, the ending of Madre through the closer (Escapades of Pan) was pretty special for us during that performance.

I think you were the one who sent me the prelims run vid....I've always enjoyed it.

22 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is an outtake from Troopers Hell Bent for Victory movie - contains Brass GE tape from 1979.

Anyway - Crossmen had beaten Troopers something like 6 times that season.  Troopers beat Crossmen once - when it counted.

I have never seen video of that prelims show. I wish I could. 

On 7/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Tony L. said:

As there is no DCI to watch this summer I have decided to take a look back at some 13th  vs.  12th place shows from past season.  Particularly to see who got "robbed".  Any recommendations for particularly egregious years?  

My first thought was 2017 Mandarins.  I will rewatch and see if I still believe that.

I thought Madison earned 12th hands down in 2017 over Mandarins.......so did the panel.....only 2 visual judges had Mandarins in the top 12, the other 9 (of 11) judges had Mandarins in 13th.....Madison only had one judge who did not have them in the top 12.......................

Crossmen 1979.....perhaps the most blatant corps that easily belonged in Finals and were denied...............Crossmen 1983, in my opinion, should also have been in....and so should the Sky Ryders, who made the 12th spot in 83; the corps that should have been out was Bridgemen, with a highly suspect 17th place hornline (and 16th in visual)....yes, they were 2nd in drums, but.....

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I thought Madison earned 12th hands down in 2017 over Mandarins.......so did the panel.....only 2 visual judges had Mandarins in the top 12, the other 9 (of 11) judges had Mandarins in 13th.....Madison only had one judge who did not have them in the top 12.......................

Then they all got it wrong.  Simple as that!  😆 

So after rewatching 2000, I actually did end up agreeing with the nod to Bluecoats.  Southwind did everything they were given very well.  But, the Bluecoats' show just seemed much more sophisticated.  One thing I did not realize until I rechecked scores is that the Bluecoats were way ahead of SW all year.  I think up by as many as 9 points.  I wonder if they even had SW on their radar until right before Finals week.  Very close.