Mandarins - Here We Go Again

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

What a mind trip ... YOU are the reason we didn’t make finals. I think I would have gone old school drum corps on him. Think Jim would have my back?

Hell, yeah.  I’d get in a dust up, too.  That’s straight-up bullying.  The young woman had to go into therapy.  Grrrr the momma in me is coming out.  🐅 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

What a mind trip ... YOU are the reason we didn’t make finals. I think I would have gone old school drum corps on him. Think Jim would have my back?

He would have pulled that once in a Sr/All Age corps and “stuff” would have been flying.... If the person being bullied wouldn’t have said anything, someone else would have been smoking ‘n fire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The sad thing is the DM & others had complained privately to Corps management, & nothing (apparently) happened.  It had to go public for action to occur.  

Not excusing their decision, at all, but I suspect the thinking was: we're enjoying competitive success and now on the cusp of making Finals for the first time in our history, and we believe that's due to the contributions of our program coordinator, and we can't risk that just because he said some mean things to some members.

It's wrong, but quite conceivable. It's a little bit like some experiences being shared over the past two months regarding EDI issues. For instance, someone I know, a woman of color, who works for a non-profit, described to me how a board member at her organization made a number of racist remarks, but she didn't speak up (until the company recently put out statements explicitly condemning that kind of behavior and welcoming feedback from employees who might have experienced it) because she knew this board member has given millions to the company, so she felt that if she said something, the company would ignore her or maybe even let her go rather than risk losing a huge funding source.

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not excusing their decision, at all, but I suspect the thinking was: we're enjoying competitive success and now on the cusp of making Finals for the first time in our history, and we believe that's due to the contributions of our program coordinator, and we can't risk that just because he said some mean things to some members.

It's wrong, but quite conceivable. It's a little bit like some experiences being shared over the past two months regarding EDI issues. For instance, someone I know, a woman of color, who works for a non-profit, described to me how a board member at her organization made a number of racist remarks, but she didn't speak up (until the company recently put out statements explicitly condemning that kind of behavior and welcoming feedback from employees who might have experienced it) because she knew this board member has given millions to the company, so she felt that if she said something, the company would ignore her or maybe even let her go rather than risk losing a huge funding source.

What cost is tolerable for racism, misogyny, xenophobia, bullying, etc.? Millions of dollars? Nothing? I hope the rest of the board takes Silkwood showers. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

What cost is tolerable for racism, misogyny, xenophobia, bullying, etc.? Millions of dollars? Nothing? I hope the rest of the board takes Silkwood showers. 

I just can’t.  There are no excuses.  None. 

The judge in my case said that because the sex offender had a pregnant wife  and child,  he didn’t want to convict him because of that. So it was acceptable to him to allow a sex offender to go free to terrorize the neighborhood children. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That would be retaliation against a whistleblower.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t catch all the details other than multiple members. My question is did this occur over multiple years?