Mandarins - Here We Go Again

i saw stuff breaking on instagram the other day and i started counting down. Plus the DCI ####ery twitter page had to rebrand and remove posts because someone threatened to sue after posts of their past behavior come to light.

whats happening in the marching arts is heartwarming to see todays kids aren't putting up with the #### anymore, and it's spilling over into every day life.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That would be retaliation against a whistleblower.    

It sure would, but it might be hard to prove, and people are often afraid to stand up for themselves, or they legitimately are worried about hurting the organization in question.

In this case, suppose Mandarins had fired this program coordinator after the 2017 season, and word got out that the reason they did it was because the former drum major reported him, but next year without his genuine design talent, they dropped from 13th to 18th or something like that. I feel it's pretty likely that there would be Mandarins' supporters complaining that it was the drum major who wrecked their chances at making Finals by not keeping quiet.

Grotesque? Absolutely. But there are plenty of people out there who will blame the victim, particularly when punishing the wrongdoer risks hurting the status of the organization.

• Like 3

As someone else mentioned, the stories are going to take a darker turn beyond just bullying. I took a look through the community guidelines, and while I don't think posting an Instagram link is against any forums rules, I still think it's best I don't post a direct link but just mention something is out there for broader consumption. There's a reddit post in the DrumCorps subreddit that links to an Instagram page that is currently only dedicated to a number of different posts on this matter. It includes a large number of posts with individual allegations, some quite disturbing. There's even a copy of a video that he posted himself to his Facebook page (and has since taken down) that is inappropriate.  If these allegations are true, I only hope that those involved have been able to seek some help along the way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i saw stuff breaking on instagram the other day and i started counting down. Plus the DCI ####ery twitter page had to rebrand and remove posts because someone threatened to sue after posts of their past behavior come to light.

whats happening in the marching arts is heartwarming to see todays kids aren't putting up with the #### anymore, and it's spilling over into every day life.

Bravo to these young people for doing what their leaders choose to turn a blind eye. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It sure would, but it might be hard to prove, and people are often afraid to stand up for themselves, or they legitimately are worried about hurting the organization in question.

In this case, suppose Mandarins had fired this program coordinator after the 2017 season, and word got out that the reason they did it was because the former drum major reported him, but next year without his genuine design talent, they dropped from 13th to 18th or something like that. I feel it's pretty likely that there would be Mandarins' supporters complaining that it was the drum major who wrecked their chances at making Finals by not keeping quiet.

Grotesque? Absolutely. But there are plenty of people out there who will blame the victim, particularly when punishing the wrongdoer risks hurting the status of the organization.

Kelley said that was what happened to her.  Horrifying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Kelley said that was what happened to her.  Horrifying. 

Penn State flashbacks.... nothing wrong with the organization just malcontents who should have kept quiet... 🤮  And STILL see those little round car magnets  that are pro-Paterno...

• Sad 2

It is ridiculous how much is pushed under the rug in drum corps due to the backwards attitudes of the old leadership in the activity. Every year that goes by with new allegations and information, I become more and more turned off by the activity. 

I read through the Instagram account that has been posting various students’ and staff allegations against Jackson and it is horrifying to read. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It is ridiculous how much is pushed under the rug in drum corps due to the backwards attitudes of the old leadership in the activity. Every year that goes by with new allegations and information, I become more and more turned off by the activity. 

I read through the Instagram account that has been posting various students’ and staff allegations against Jackson and it is horrifying to read. 

There are two Instagram accounts and one of them has a video of Ike talking.  One of them is @racisminmarchingarts and the other one is @bandsafespace.  

• Thanks 1