Mandarins - Here We Go Again

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I find it interesting with some responses, YET many people  ( some here responding )have praised some of the prominent staff who " returned to Cadets " It's funny, guess you never saw an actual rehearsal with some who are notorious for lets say their teaching technique. 

I have never bought into that negative approach.  I think it’s sad. 

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have never bought into that negative approach.  I think it’s sad. 

Well, unfortunately for some ( not defending just stating ) It works. ( I guess ) I have seen it all for sure. Personally I think you can't be real tough without building people back up. Your students have to know you are on their side and although you can be rough and demanding, they have to know you will fight just as hard for them. They have to know, , not guess , you are trying to pull out of them the best they can be and bring them beyond what they ever thought they can be.

IMO you can't just be one sided . if you are the type ,a little rough around the edges. you  just come off as a jerk and not someone on their side.  If you come off as ,this is for  me and not you  the student they won't trust or believe the hard work and sometimes rough times are worth it. Above all , a staff member must always convey the message that what they do is NOT ABOUT THEM at all but ALL ABOUT THE STUDENT.I have found over the years they respond and will do anything required to be their best when they know this.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well, unfortunately for some ( not defending just stating ) It works. ( I guess ) I have seen it all for sure. Personally I think you can't be real tough without building people back up. Your students have to know you are on their side and although you can be rough and demanding, they have to know you will fight just as hard for them. They have to know, , not guess , you are trying to pull out of them the best they can be and bring them beyond what they ever thought they can be.

IMO you can't just be one sided . if you are the type ,a little rough around the edges. you  just come off as a jerk and not someone on their side.  If you come off as ,this is for  me and not you  the student they won't trust or believe the hard work and sometimes rough times are worth it. Above all , a staff member must always convey the message that what they do is NOT ABOUT THEM at all but ALL ABOUT THE STUDENT.I have found over the years they respond and will do anything required to be their best when they know this.

I loved the tough ones who also made me feel appreciated.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I find it interesting with some responses, YET many people  ( some here responding )have praised some of the prominent staff who " returned to Cadets " It's funny, guess they never saw an actual rehearsal with some who are notorious for lets say their teaching technique. 

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like some people who have said something about some things have said other things about some people related to those things. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I loved the tough ones who also made me feel appreciated.  

Thats the key for developing not just a program but a successful one.IMO  Anyone can have a program BUT when you have to push people , sometimes even kicking and screaming, tough is needed. People just have to know and will accept the tough IF they know you're in it FOR THEM, That your time has past and you do what you do for them .

• Like 1

During the years I did some sports team coaching and many years of refereeing several sports, I learned quickly that a one on one worked best for the athlete and me.  No throwing anyone under the bus.  It helped me be a better CO.  Well, at least the inmates felt better since they new what to expect.  "At least we know CO how you run your unit and what to expect if we see you in the sally port.  You're consistent, show no favoritism, don't embarrass us, and never bring your outside issues inside."  (Brings a tear to my eye.)

5 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

The drum captain is the adult in the room (as it were). Sad to see he’s fallen prey to the “that’s the way he is” mindset. I look at kids like that and think how much more they could achieve and how much confidence they could gain by having someone building them up instead of tearing them down. You can be a demanding teacher without being demeaning. 

Good grief did you guys really march in Drum Corps!?  You guys are SOFT if you think Ike Jackson was "demeaning" in that video.  Ayala is a relatively small non-affluent high school in Southern California.  They have a really good band and winter guard program and they didn't get there by hugging.  

• Confused 1

this was said one night at rehearsal when i still taught and sticks with me today"

"sarcasm is not an effective teaching tool"

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Good grief did you guys really march in Drum Corps!?  You guys are SOFT if you think Ike Jackson was "demeaning" in that video.  Ayala is a relatively small non-affluent high school in Southern California.  They have a really good band and winter guard program and they didn't get there by hugging.  

Ike Jackson has a history of demeaning and predatory behavior that we are finally hearing about because a brave young woman from the Mandarins drum corps had the guts to say, ENOUGH! Go read the Instagram thread. There’s a link a few pages back. 

• Like 2