Mandarins - Here We Go Again

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No I read that and agree. I just don’t understand the comparing it to social media.

Well, I do not understand comparing that video to the initial claim in the Instagram link at the beginning of this thread:

"I can still hear this man telling me that it was my fault that the Mandarins didn't make finals in 2017 because I couldn't bring everybody's horns up at the same time."

(By the way, can someone explain this to me?  I do not recall the 2017 Mandarins show ever having the drum major bring horns up.)

Speaking of trophy gathering dust. Posted before about why my band didn’t compete and there was a trophy gathering dust and tarnish in a case. It was for a HS All-American quarterback the school had 15 or so years earlier. Whole case had his stuff and no one currently attending school knew who he was. My parents could remember he went to PSU and he fell off the radar. Found his obit and sounds like he had a full productive life after college. But almost all the obit memories posted were about him playing football in HS and some in college. It’s like his life stopped after football. IMO sad that a guy would only be remembered for something 50 years earlier (cue Al Bundys 5 touchdowns playing for Polk High). 
Just seeing these hard ##### instructors as thinking MB or DC will always be the most important thing in these young people’s lives. What a bunch of rot...

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, I do not understand comparing that video to the initial claim in the Instagram link at the beginning of this thread:

"I can still hear this man telling me that it was my fault that the Mandarins didn't make finals in 2017 because I couldn't bring everybody's horns up at the same time."

(By the way, can someone explain this to me?  I do not recall the 2017 Mandarins show ever having the drum major bring horns up.)

I saw it as showing how IJ operates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This.

Everyone who has marched Drum Corps has had days when they were consistently doing something wrong and got called out on it. 

But there is a difference between 'you're half a count behind - don't listen to the percussion, watch the DM'

and

' <throws drumstick at member> you idiot! - you're always half a count behind - don't listen to the f**cking percussion, watch the GD drum major!'

That’s just dumb.  

I was pretty lucky in drum corps.  Outside of a couple of people, no one was really mean, and many of them were great teachers with wonderful attitudes.  There’s one guy, may he Rest In Peace, who we had for only one year in 77, who was so good at what he did and was also a really good person. I will forever hold him in reverence.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Good grief did you guys really march in Drum Corps!?  You guys are SOFT if you think Ike Jackson was "demeaning" in that video.  Ayala is a relatively small non-affluent high school in Southern California.  They have a really good band and winter guard program and they didn't get there by hugging.  

it's a different world now. there's soft, and there's what you see. i taught a group that has done very well, and we didn't mock or use sarcasm, nor we did we beat the #### of out the kids.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Ike Jackson has a history of demeaning and predatory behavior that we are finally hearing about because a brave young woman from the Mandarins drum corps had the guts to say, ENOUGH! Go read the Instagram thread. There’s a link a few pages back. 

don't use facts, they arent old school enough

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I saw it as showing how IJ operates. 

I kind of thought he was talking in a general sense.  Like he was intimating that she wasn’t a good leader.  I don’t know for sure but that was the vibe I got from her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Our main drill guy in corps was called Rich the ##### behind his back. He was a screamer but yelled at everyone equally, including BoD members who paid him (this was a Sr corps). Outside of practice it was “hey how are you doing”. So we knew if he chewed on you it was nothing personal.

But understand he has a TOTALLY different persona dealing with HS band and color guard. 👼

very much so. he was the fun uncle

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

very much so. he was the fun uncle

Had the dad of a Mburg guard member in my building and we talked a good bit. I could tell 2000s HS Guard Rich was not the same as 1970s Sr corps Rich. Sounded like Rich could adapt to what was needed so more power to him. 

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Good grief did you guys really march in Drum Corps!?  You guys are SOFT if you think Ike Jackson was "demeaning" in that video.  Ayala is a relatively small non-affluent high school in Southern California.  They have a really good band and winter guard program and they didn't get there by hugging.  

I hope you will one day find inner peace

• Like 3