Mandarins - Here We Go Again

On 7/24/2020 at 12:46 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Looks like Mandarins are investigating Ike Jackson (percussion guru) for various inappropriate comments & treatment of members

https://www.facebook.com/mandarins.sacramento

as well as Reddit Drumcorps 

I understand this was posted on Reddit, but I feel like this was meant to be a private communication to the Mandarins family. I would like to recommend to the mods that this thread be removed. 

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat...

i removed a post that was far too graphic for DCP guidelines. The video the description came from is/was viewable elsewhere  

Mike, I think this entire discussion should be removed. This is a private matter for the organization to handle and its impossible to know whether any of this is accurate. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I understand this was posted on Reddit, but I feel like this was meant to be a private communication to the Mandarins family. I would like to recommend to the mods that this thread be removed. 

She has a posting on Facebook too, publicly... so it would appear that was not intended to be private.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As a total outsider, I would bet he's been enabled for far too long and allowed to continue to stretch the boundaries of acceptable behavior until what we see today. 

The good about social media: it shines a light on bad behavior.

The bad about social media: it forces organizations to fire people rather than reform them. For this guy's particular case, it appears he's done plenty to warrant his firing. But more generally: organizations should act to make their employees better and not let it spiral to this. 

I just want to make one thing clear about the video I posted that people are referencing. I didn't post that video with the intent to point out inappropriate behavior in the way he interacted with his students; I posted it solely for the reaction by the drum captain after that clip. While it's not exactly how I would provide feedback to a group of teenagers, there was nothing explicitly terrible about that clip. The drum captain's reaction after that scene is what I wanted to highlight.  Given a lot of the claims that have been made via those other Instagram posts, the drum captain's reaction to a simple question of "What do you think about Ike Jackson?" is a fairly telling response that made me think a lot more about the fact that the Mandarins' drum major may not have been dealing with an isolated event.  That young man's response makes it clear that he and his peers have had to deal with some similar issues.

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

........................Here's another "old school" fact:  There are parents outside of the Ayala High School boundaries that falsely report their home address.  They use addresses of family or friends within the Ayala boundaries just so their kids can be a part of their music programs, including drum line. 

Maybe people don't vote with their feet anymore?

If Ike Jackson needs to be investigated for "abuse" and "predatory behavior" then do it.  But this notion of social media as judge, jury, and executioner is troubling, at least to me.   

that happens nationwide. i don't condone that either. And I am playing neither role. but without social media, none of this would have been brought to light....and Mandarins ignoring the drum major is pretty damning

• Thanks 3

IMO the "Jury is Still Out" on this one. I have researched the alleged post by Kathy Ho (Drum Major)  on Reddit, videos on Innovative Percussion regarding Ike Johnson as well as his history and starting as a performer in the Blue Devils leading to his position as a percussion instructor for many various organizations.

I do not condone mis-behavior by any educator/instructor, and I would expect and demand any instructor who works with younger age students to conduct themselves as a "Professional" at all times.

It seems that at times, Ike Johnson may have over-stepped this line.

It's a human condition of trying to be better than you were yesterday  - and teaching that to others in a positive way is a developed skill.

As an educator or instructor it's imperative to do this with skill and finesse which is the mark of highly demanded teacher/instructor.

13 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

As the originator of this thread, I disagree 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3