Mandarins - Here We Go Again

57 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To Be Or Not To Be?

That's the one. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch and starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard as married actors in Warsaw, with a young Robert Stack as her would-be lover.*

Remade in 1983 by Mel Brooks (although directed by his longtime collaborator Alan Johnson) and starring Brooks and Anne Bancroft, with Tim Matheson in the Stack role.

*I hadn't thought of this at all when referencing this movie earlier, but in light of recent events ...

...nah, better not. Google News will make it clear what I'm thinking of.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Boy, THAT's the truth!

Just today I saw reference to the claim that 20% of students presented with Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," the famous 1729 satirical tract from the author of Gulliver's Travels, in which he argued that the solution to starvation and overpopulation in Ireland was for the Irish to eat their babies, not only don't recognize it as satire, but when confronted with that explanation, reject it: they simply cannot comprehend that one could joke about such things.

(Mind you, I'm not sure how rigorously tested that 20% figure is.)

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's the one. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch and starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard as married actors in Warsaw, with a young Robert Stack as her would-be lover.*

Remade in 1983 by Mel Brooks (although directed by his longtime collaborator Alan Johnson) and starring Brooks and Anne Bancroft, with Tim Matheson in the Stack role.

*I hadn't thought of this at all when referencing this movie earlier, but in light of recent events ...

...nah, better not. Google News will make it clear what I'm thinking of.

I googled the movie and didn’t realize this was the movie Carole Lombard had just finished before her plane went down. Benny couldn’t bring himself to go to the premier.

way off topic: took a genealogical trip to way north of Harrisburg near Halifax. Passed under a Appalachian Trail overpass on the way. Forgot it was there... 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just today I saw reference to the claim that 20% of students presented with Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," the famous 1729 satirical tract from the author of Gulliver's Travels, in which he argued that the solution to starvation and overpopulation in Ireland was for the Irish to eat their babies, not only don't recognize it as satire, but when confronted with that explanation, reject it: they simply cannot comprehend that one could joke about such things.

(Mind you, I'm not sure how rigorously tested that 20% figure is.)

Too be fair, satire and irony are dead. It’s difficult to distinguish between some current events and headlines from The Onion. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Too be fair, satire and irony are dead. It’s difficult to distinguish between some current events and headlines from The Onion. 

I put the laughy face but all too true.... and I’m a huge satire fan thanks to MAD and National Lampoon.

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

way off topic: took a genealogical trip to way north of Harrisburg near Halifax. Passed under a Appalachian Trail overpass on the way. Forgot it was there... 

Yep. The Trail passes north through the Cumberland Valley to the east of Carlisle, then turns east and passes right through Duncannon, possibly the longest "city" portion in its whole length.

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yep. The Trail passes north through the Cumberland Valley to the east of Carlisle, then turns east and passes right through Duncannon, possibly the longest "city" portion in its whole length.

Duncannon... city.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 oh yeah know the area. I’m right across the river from Harrisburg. Have  to check the trail map as haven’t been on any part of it since Scouts. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Duncannon... city.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 oh yeah know the area. I’m right across the river from Harrisburg. Have  to check the trail map as haven’t been on any part of it since Scouts. 

Pennsylvania rocks!

That's not a compliment. Just saying it makes my feet ache.

• Haha 1