Mandarins - Here We Go Again

16 hours ago, garfield said:

It was totally appropriate.  There's laughing at a person's situation, and then there's laughing at the situation to ease the tension.

Considering the extent to which these boards have hashed out the accusation list, a little levity is perfectly appropriate. 

Newer members are encouraged to read for several days or weeks to better understand the dynamic of the regular posters.

I am the OP and I approve of this post.

Who tried to ruin the thread with political commentary? WTF :whistle:

(I hope that WTF can be used in the forum considering Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is used) 

20 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Not new to Social Media. The humor here was not appropriate. 

Everyone are not in the loop for your side subject. 

Some of the humor on DCP doesn't align well with my tastes. But it doesn't have to. It is a social media platform, a forum for all kinds of commentary related to drum corps (except political stuff). Some posters are really thoughtful, @N.E. Brigand usually among them, others not so much.

Many posts require a background in the subject I don't have. And that's fine, too. I sometimes dig more deeply on my own. No one is required to educated me about the experiences or knowledge framing the context for their posts, however. That's for college term papers, not an online forum.

I'd quickly go nuts demanding good critical thinking in everything I read on DCP. Or bothering to point out every instance where I think critical thinking is lacking.

And I am glad others are not constantly pointing out my own flaws. (Assuming I had some.)

Edited by mjoakes
our to out
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Too be fair, satire and irony are dead. It’s difficult to distinguish between some current events and headlines from The Onion. 

I don't agree.  I think satire and irony are flourishing.  Traditional sources have changed though.

Social Media is an incredible source.  While everyone likes to complain about it, I see so many things that make me laugh.

There are some very funny commentators out there. 

22 hours ago, Continental said:

I don't agree.  I think satire and irony are flourishing.  Traditional sources have changed though.

Social Media is an incredible source.  While everyone likes to complain about it, I see so many things that make me laugh.

I will agree with you. Satire and irony are doing well. It's quality journalism that has died.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Continental said:

If you care to pm me some of your faves I would like that. I used to love satire but it’s just no longer enjoyable for me. Sarah Cooper has been a bright spot.