Mandarins - Here We Go Again

Just now, seen-it-all said:

This one should have waited to induct him for those investigations are over. I'm pretty surprised at WGI because I know they usually take this stuff very seriously. It seems very short-sighted of them to go ahead with his induction, knowing about the allegations. IMO

i hadn't kept up with it, so i am not fully aware of their timelines. at this point, it's a wait and see game. 

22 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I understand this was posted on Reddit, but I feel like this was meant to be a private communication to the Mandarins family. I would like to recommend to the mods that this thread be removed. 

I believe this is why nothing ever changes, because it gets buried, just like Santa Clara and Cavies alumni buried their brewing stories of abuse. 

Besides, the accuser posted publicly on her Facebook page, because she felt she had no other recourse and I know exactly how she feels. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spinning said:

I believe this is why nothing ever changes, because it gets buried, just like Santa Clara and Cavies alumni buried their brewing stories of abuse. 

Besides, the accuser posted publicly on her Facebook page, because she felt she had no other recourse and I know exactly how she feels. 

Now you have done it! Santa Clara and Cavies are OFF limits around here. Looking back at last years end of season Cavies thread. 

But you are correct many times these types of complaints are buried and people wonder why victims hold onto these types of things for so long or forever. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spinning said:

I don’t think anyone was saying it should be buried.  There was just a question as to the wishes of the victim.  

I’m not saying it was the case here, but for a situation where the victim does not want their personal circumstances to be made public, do you think it should be made public anyway?  

To me that is an interesting ethical dilemma.  Where I used to work, someone posed such a hypothetical to HR.  Their answer was that you had to report what you know to HR, even if it means betraying the trust of the victim.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I don’t think anyone was saying it should be buried.  There was just a question as to the wishes of the victim.  

I’m not saying it was the case here, but for a situation where the victim does not want their personal circumstances to be made public, do you think it should be made public anyway?  

To me that is an interesting ethical dilemma.  Where I used to work, someone posed such a hypothetical to HR.  Their answer was that you had to report what you know to HR, even if it means betraying the trust of the victim.  

You know, though, he himself posted the peanut butter video on instagram.  Seems to me, that would be damning enough, even without Kelley Ho’s post. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

so abuse was ok two years ago when they found out but not ok now? interesting. 

WGI is out to protect themselves and their income streams (much like a number of drum corps)... not the students.

You’re saying abuse was reported to WGI two years ago? What I know is that a drum major filed a whistle blower report to Mandarins and they chose to sit on it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

You’re saying abuse was reported to WGI two years ago? What I know is that a drum major filed a whistle blower report to Mandarins and they chose to sit on it. 

I think there were people who contacted WGI at the time of the hall of fame induction and they said there was nothing they could do about it.  I saw it on Twitter, I think. 

i can’t find it now but I’m not surprised.  They take down posts pretty quickly because I think they receive threats. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

so abuse was ok two years ago when they found out but not ok now? interesting. 

WGI is out to protect themselves and their income streams (much like a number of drum corps)... not the students.

par for the course in the activity. anything pre-Hopkins was, well...whatever to those in charge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2