Mandarins - Here We Go Again

32 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Just to add more to the fire that is happening in drum corps! Add GH and Mandarin and all the other incidents PLUS Covid 19 which all together  will further send drum corps into history (which will be erased) and we will never speak of it again.

Something tells me the folks here would still speak of it again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Asking for a friend: if someone only makes one comment on an off-topic point but he uses 1,200 words in that one comment, is it still brief?

Tell your friend no need to write a book. :lol:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The absolute biggest problem with journalism today, by far, is that there's too little of it. It's not even close.

(massive snip.  You’re welcome)

o own up to their part in the cover-up and betray their powerful friends to bring the truth to light. Similarly Spotlight, in which one of the main characters is Bradlee's son, portrays the same dynamic thirty years later, except in that case, the powerful friends that nobody wants to betray are the leaders of 

Please, help me.  I realize you were responding to someone else’s off topic comment that journalism is dead, but you could have easily said “No it’s not” and left it at that (and left many of us lying shocked on the floor).  But, besides this minor infraction that would have been forgotten, you write a treatise on the death of journalistic opinion and didn’t once relate it to the Mandarins or the people involved, besides defending the journalistic craft.  Did I miss something?

Was there something in the reporting of the incident that’s been unsatisfactory?  I remember you emphasizing that look back to 2018; is that the journalistic thing to which you hint?

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, garfield said:

Please, help me.  I realize you were responding to someone else’s off topic comment that journalism is dead, but you could have easily said “No it’s not” and left it at that (and left many of us lying shocked on the floor).  But, besides this minor infraction that would have been forgotten, you write a treatise on the death of journalistic opinion and didn’t once relate it to the Mandarins or the people involved, besides defending the journalistic craft.  Did I miss something?

Was there something in the reporting of the incident that’s been unsatisfactory?  I remember you emphasizing that look back to 2018; is that the journalistic thing to which you hint?

I find the reporting on the Mandarins thus far to be unsatisfactory, yes. There are basic facts we don't know, and others we only know because of social media posts or from statements by the corps.

And in general, drum corps reporting is terrible. I don't mean that as disparagement of the work of any of the part-time or amateur journalists who work for Drum Corps World. I mean that, as I described generally, there's far too little of it. If a high school sports team fired an assistant coach following allegations of mistreatment, or let go another coach with a terse, foreboding statement, the local paper would cover it. Or at least that's how things used to be. The Mandarins have many more players than your average high school sports team.

(Not sure about the 2018 date you reference.)

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I find the reporting on the Mandarins thus far to be unsatisfactory, yes. There are basic facts we don't know, and others we only know because of social media posts or from statements by the corps.

And in general, drum corps reporting is terrible. I don't mean that as disparagement of the work of any of the part-time or amateur journalists who work for Drum Corps World. I mean that, as I described generally, there's far too little of it. If a high school sports team fired an assistant coach following allegations of mistreatment, or let go another coach with a terse, foreboding statement, the local paper would cover it. Or at least that's how things used to be. The Mandarins have many more players than your average high school sports team.

(Not sure about the 2018 date you reference.)

However, I would guess that the Mandarins have few members local to their home location of Sacramento, the same as most WC corps. There is not as much community interest for local newspapers to cover things drum corps related on a general basis as there is covering sports teams based in their community, made up of students from their community, as part of covering the local school system happenings.

It takes something as big as the GH stuff to bring in the news media. 

• Like 1