Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

Essentially, this poll is asking if cancellation of 2021 WGI season categorically rules out a 2021 DCI season.

Edit:  feel free to discuss or ask questions below... but NO POLITICS, please.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Thanks 1

i don't expect anything.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't think that fall marching band and spring WGI will have much impact on the decision of a 2021 DCI season.   I DO think that if there is not a massively available working vaccine by the end of January, then the 2021 DCI season could be doomed.   I don't see any way WGI happens, as even if they delayed the start of their season, the groups would have zero time to organize and prepare, even if groups repeated their 2020 shows.   In DCI, you have many members who said that they would return for 2021, and in some cases had a completed or nearly completed musical show....they do not have to start over........also, most corps learn most or all of their drill from May to early June.  and if there is no WGI, guard members would actually have MORE time to devote to corps in many cases.  I think DCI will need to make a decision by mid-March at the very latest, and that's pushing it.   Hopefully, a vaccine is in place in January, and they can make a "happy" announcement at the beginning of February.  I do think that a 2021 season might be shortened, with more regional shows/touring, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.....they could take out June and still get over 30 shows in per corps if they wish...............

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I don't think that fall marching band and spring WGI will have much impact on the decision of a 2021 DCI season.   I DO think that if there is not a massively available working vaccine by the end of January, then the 2021 DCI season could be doomed.   I don't see any way WGI happens, as even if they delayed the start of their season, the groups would have zero time to organize and prepare, even if groups repeated their 2020 shows.   In DCI, you have many members who said that they would return for 2021, and in some cases had a completed or nearly completed musical show....they do not have to start over........also, most corps learn most or all of their drill from May to early June.  and if there is no WGI, guard members would actually have MORE time to devote to corps in many cases.  I think DCI will need to make a decision by mid-March at the very latest, and that's pushing it.   Hopefully, a vaccine is in place in January, and they can make a "happy" announcement at the beginning of February.  I do think that a 2021 season might be shortened, with more regional shows/touring, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.....they could take out June and still get over 30 shows in per corps if they wish...............

HS programs and WGI will dictate how things will happen, Facilities, staff, members, .rehearsal sites, show sites..etc etc We are ALL CONNECTED in almost every way. Corps are hopeful BUT in every and I mean every conversation, the possibility of no 2021 is right up there.

As far as small regional shows IF allowed , where are the members coming from in todays drum corps, big change from the early days

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't expect anything.

You could be right.

Smaller or younger corps IF there is a 2021 season, vaccine or not, I believe will suffer where many of their members are under 18. I heard from staff of those corps and they are hopeful but do talk about parents even letting their kid get on a bus period.

Edited by GUARDLING

Just now, GUARDLING said:

HS programs and WGI will dictate how things will happen, Facilities, staff, members, .rehearsal sites, show sites..etc etc We are ALL CONNECTED in almost every way. Corps are hopeful BUT in every and I mean every conversation, the possibility of no 2021 is right up there.

I don't argue with what you say in regards to everything being connected in some way, but I do think that timing is everything here......if there is not a vaccine or totally effective preventative med and/or treatment for this virus by the end of January, 2021 is likely doomed.  If the medical community DOES come across, though, I can see a scenario where fall band and winter/spring guard/wgi are all cancelled, but corps happens......because it's later............even there, a big if would be school administrators (or at the very least, college administrators) would have to feel safe enough by March (at the latest) to allow their facilities to be used in the summer time with no fear of the virus by that point.  There are some very  recent promising vaccine developments   that are "on schedule" thus far, so I hold onto hope.............