Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

Just now, Bob984 said:

I don't argue with what you say in regards to everything being connected in some way, but I do think that timing is everything here......if there is not a vaccine or totally effective preventative med and/or treatment for this virus by the end of January, 2021 is likely doomed.  If the medical community DOES come across, though, I can see a scenario where fall band and winter/spring guard/wgi are all cancelled, but corps happens......because it's later............even there, a big if would be school administrators (or at the very least, college administrators) would have to feel safe enough by March (at the latest) to allow their facilities to be used in the summer time with no fear of the virus by that point.  There are some very  recent promising vaccine developments   that are "on schedule" thus far, so I hold onto hope.............

My post above will give you some insight to younger or smaller corps.. Vaccine or not I have already heard schools who do get involved a bit are saying no already, no matter what. School facilities are a challenge  every year without all of this

• Like 1

I could see a more local/regional series of shows that features a combination of exhibition, stand-still and some parades (?) leading up to July 5. Then I could also see DCI beginning a competitive season on July 5 or so and basically shooting for a 6 week season. All of this depends on public schools and colleges allowing for shows, residence by the corps, and fans. 

Without a vaccine then no chance of a season. One thing to keep your eyes on is college football. If they do play this fall, how well does that work? If they have to move CFB to spring can they be successful then? How much will have changed? But if for some reason we see a successful CFB season in the spring (if not fall) AND we have a vaccine then I would say chances go up. But, of course, a successful CFB season in the spring does not mean colleges will allow for non-college sanctioned events, and the same is true with high schools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

My post above will give you some insight to younger or smaller corps.. Vaccine or not I have already heard schools who do get involved a bit are saying no already, no matter what. School facilities are a challenge  every year without all of this

I agree that it could be more problematic for Open class corps that rely mostly on HS venues............world class may have a better shot at securing college facilities and some  non-scholastic facilities to use.............I know if I was a parent of any age kid, they don't get on the bus until they have been vaccinated  with a fully working vaccine, or there is a med that kills this stuff.........the virus won't go away on it's own.........at least not for years...............on the other hand, if the "magic vaccine" happens in January, and kids are playing basketball and wrestling in gyms in the Spring with no virus, school authorities then might reconsider.  How fast things turn around IF there is a vaccine will be huge................one thing that actually IS in favor of younger/smaller corps.......they operate on a far smaller budget, and that may be in their "survival" favor, especially if 2021 doesn't happen............many corps operating on $2 million dollar or more budgets are going to be forced big-time to re-think how they operate....at least for awhile.............some can't budget as it was; one major corps, that I will leave nameless, was close to bankruptcy last year, yet they spent $60K on props...........another corps that I was involved with lists 69 people on their staff..........I WON THE TITLE with a staff of 20..........if there is not a 2021, I think the damage to World Class might be larger than Open class.............

I voted yes, although maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I agree that it could be more problematic for Open class corps that rely mostly on HS venues............world class may have a better shot at securing college facilities and some  non-scholastic facilities to use.............I know if I was a parent of any age kid, they don't get on the bus until they have been vaccinated  with a fully working vaccine, or there is a med that kills this stuff.........the virus won't go away on it's own.........at least not for years...............on the other hand, if the "magic vaccine" happens in January, and kids are playing basketball and wrestling in gyms in the Spring with no virus, school authorities then might reconsider.  How fast things turn around IF there is a vaccine will be huge................one thing that actually IS in favor of younger/smaller corps.......they operate on a far smaller budget, and that may be in their "survival" favor, especially if 2021 doesn't happen............many corps operating on $2 million dollar or more budgets are going to be forced big-time to re-think how they operate....at least for awhile.............some can't budget as it was; one major corps, that I will leave nameless, was close to bankruptcy last year, yet they spent $60K on props...........another corps that I was involved with lists 69 people on their staff..........I WON THE TITLE with a staff of 20..........if there is not a 2021, I think the damage to World Class might be larger than Open class.............

Very true BUT I will tell you the younger corps I was talking about and have had direct contact with ARE in WC..as far extra staff. I also came from a place in time where I may have had 1 assistant, not paid to help. We were taught we had to do everything, not anymore, new staff for the most part do not do it all. 

Money spent is much different today, everyone talks about cost of props, Well gone are the days of getting some lot to practice in, gone are the days of a donut and juice for a meal, gone are the days of someone donating a facility to any part of the activity, I can go on and on but I know you got what I mean. As far as vaccine's I have been told that may play out BUT it will be a long time till people trust . 

This like 9/11 will change things for a very long time IF not forever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

This like 9/11 will change things for a very long time IF not forever. 

I agree with this. Much like 9/11 changed many aspects of our country, I believe a modern day pandemic like this will change the health practices of our country quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bands, WGI, and DCI are interconnected, but no band competitions or WGI does not necessarily  mean there will be no 2021 though it can impact the quality of what we see on the field. 

Whether there will be a 2021 season is pure speculation. I’m sure if there is no vaccine or reasonable cure, there will not be a 2021 season. My thought is that if there is not a 2021 season, we may not see a 2022 or beyond. It’s already a possibility we may see fewer corps if there is a 2021 season. People have been generous though I am sure many corps are still falling short financially. I don’t know if people will support corps for a second year without a competitive season. The interest of marching members could also decrease. So if we want a future for DCI, we need a 2021 season. This can only happen if it is safe to do so, but I think a one season cancellation is all DCI can handle.