Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

This isn't the 1980s when DCI influenced WGI and BOA. As of current, it's the other way around. 

Even if there is a vaccine; I don't think there are going to be too many high schools and sports facilities willing to host a corps or a show. I really hope I'm wrong; but I honestly believe that 2021 isn't going to be all that kind to the drum corps activity. I'll even venture to guess that if there is no season in 2021; there will be some corps going inactive in both DCI and DCA. 

Hypothetically if WGI did not exist. Would Drum Corps all fold? I don't believe that but maybe you do? 

4 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Hypothetically if WGI did not exist. Would Drum Corps all fold? I don't believe that but maybe you do? 

lol..the fact of the matter is it does and so does marching band which at this point in time DCI would not exist with out the rest of the activity. This was learned many decades ago . These are pretty much know facts in the activity , and have been

Edited by GUARDLING

21 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol..the fact of the matter is it does and so does marching band which at this point in time DCI would not exist with out the rest of the activity. This was learned many decades ago . These are pretty much know facts in the activity , and have been

This appears to be a matter of opinion made by U. That is not based on any facts because it was a hypothetical question.  Has WGI closed down prior without anyone's knowledge and Drum Corps everywhere ceased to exist? I don't remember that happening. 

Just now, Continental said:

I see you are new here.

Welcome.  I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. 

And if not, bourbon helps.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

This appears to be a matter of opinion made by U. That is not based on any facts because it was a hypothetical question.  Has WGI closed down prior without anyone's knowledge and Drum Corps everywhere ceased to exist? I don't remember that happening. 

Its based on decades of experience in the activity, designer, staff, judge, etc etc...

Ok you like hypotheticals? 

If the military did not influence the activity post WW2 would there be an activity

If kids of yesteryear had the choices kids have today, would there be an activity

If DCI was not formed to take charge of their own future, would there be an activity

If the 70s didn't happen and the world changing, would there still be an activity today

Even ...would WGI  be what it is today without drum corps existing .

I do know DCI was waiting to see what was happening with HS's as well as WGI in regards to shutting the season down  and discussing what that meant to them. I know this 1st hand

It's all interconnectable for a long time

I can keep going if you like😷

lol..kidding aside.. You asked a hypothetical . so there would be no answer based on reality so a hypothetical answer would be warranted.

Edited by GUARDLING

33 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Guardling, has it gone through you mind as well that Courtney from New Zealand might also really enjoy watching WGI videos?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1