Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

35 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes knew Stanley well, My sister also taught with him when she ventured out west for a time. I barley remember without music BUT remember drums with guard . I think my 1st year still had man. of arms but changed for good right after .

I guess you can say been around the corner a few times and still jogging..lol

He was in the Kingsmen before my time but later came back and taught our guard periodically while I was there.  What a talent he was!  I think it's fair to say he introduced dance to color guard and drum corps at large.  

3 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

He was in the Kingsmen before my time but later came back and taught our guard periodically while I was there.  What a talent he was!  I think it's fair to say he introduced dance to color guard and drum corps at large.  

There is a video on YouTube showing the 1980 Seattle Imperials which says that Stanley was in charge of M&M that year. 

6 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

He sure was, way before his time, or maybe the timing was perfect.

13 minutes ago, Continental said:

There is a video on YouTube showing the 1980 Seattle Imperials which says that Stanley was in charge of M&M that year. 

He taught the Seattle Imperials color guard in 1977 (pre-WGI) and they beat everybody on the West Coast.  They wore ballet slippers when everyone else wore black English riding boots.

7 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

He taught the Seattle Imperials color guard in 1977 (pre-WGI) and they beat everybody on the West Coast.  They wore ballet slippers when everyone else wore black English riding boots.

2004 Fantasia show titled Vanishing Act was about him..If you havn't seen it...for sure worth itmqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CLz59_gF&r

• Thanks 1

I read through the beginning of this thread and a few replies, but not the whole thing.

here is my question: Why would the presence or abscence of a WGI season be a determinant for the presence or abscence of a DCI summer season?

No, BTW, there will not be a 2021 DCI season. IN addition, I'll take it a step further, drum corps competitions and touring are over as far as we have known it for the foreseeable future far past 2021. Living on buses and schools together for months on end? That situation alone will never be back. Even with Covid-19 vaccines and even if it/they actually are effective and even if 70% or more of the population agrees to take the vaccine ( approximate minimum for population effectiveness)--done. Sorry to say.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

I read through the beginning of this thread and a few replies, but not the whole thing.

here is my question: Why would the presence or abscence of a WGI season be a determinant for the presence or abscence of a DCI summer season?

No, BTW, there will not be a 2021 DCI season. IN addition, I'll take it a step further, drum corps competitions and touring are over as far as we have known it for the foreseeable future far past 2021. Living on buses and schools together for months on end? That situation alone will never be back. Even with Covid-19 vaccines and even if it/they actually are effective and even if 70% or more of the population agrees to take the vaccine ( approximate minimum for population effectiveness)--done. Sorry to say.

For all the reasons you mentioned and many more

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

For all the reasons you mentioned and many more

My only positive outlook comment on this is that I agree with the jwillis post on Friday where he/she mentions some sort of limited local exhibition stuff...maybe in 2024 by my estimate. So some semblance of a corps recreation that can reach a " regional" by direct travel and back same day or very controlled one night paid for housing.

As far as seeing something like an SCV 2018 Babylon type way out in the stratosphere super show?  Ain't gonna happen. Lastly -- Covid-19 will not be the last of the viruses for us in our lifetimes. SARS, MERS, Zika, Ebola...all in a very short time frame. The writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

My only positive outlook comment on this is that I agree with the jwillis post on Friday where he/she mentions some sort of limited local exhibition stuff...maybe in 2024 by my estimate. So some semblance of a corps recreation that can reach a " regional" by direct travel and back same day or very controlled one night paid for housing.

As far as seeing something like an SCV 2018 Babylon type way out in the stratosphere super show?  Ain't gonna happen. Lastly -- Covid-19 will not be the last of the viruses for us in our lifetimes. SARS, MERS, Zika, Ebola...all in a very short time frame. The writing is on the wall.

I mentioned it before , where will these members come from? Drum corps today has members from all over the country. This is because if corps had to rely on local kids to fill a corps, even partially they would never survive. It's been like this for quite sometime. Will todays member travel to do some local or regional thing? I will honestly ,as someone who is involved in auditions for fall, summer and winter don't think so. Todays member is very different for BITD

I do agree what we see or how the activity moves forward will be quite different. Many un knowns at this point and I think many knowns .....sadly

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1