Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

5 hours ago, rysa4 said:

Any attempt to resurrrect drum corps in the future will have local members. They are there in numbers...but not in quality. The " standard" would be something quite different. Think local VFW type stuff , just not sourced from veterans associated organizations. And people like you and me would have to make it happen..or at least have a role. Starting over really. Tough for me to see right now...but hey...I plan on being around for awhile and still dig drum corps stuff. Its OK to dream....and wait.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think it way to early to guess what DCI may or may not look like when(if) it comes back. There is way too much we don't know. 

I read this but then I read your next post?  

4 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think WGI would be the measuring stick for which we could see if a summer tour on a larger scale would be possible. I don't know that there is any direct relationship other that to say that WGI would test the infrastructure to see if it would be possible. 

For DCI, the determining factor is facilities. Housing, rehearsal, show sites. Are schools willing to host the corps? What states have loosened regulations enough to allow crowds to gather and watch shows? Are people willing to travel to shows? Do kids feel safe enough to join corps? So many questions that I don't think any of us can answer anytime soon.

Logistically, for DCI to field a 2021 season, they would need to know many of these answers now. 

This one. WGI as a measureing stick. Not too early here though? To predict length of a DCI summer tour. Nothing wrong with a discussion. My opinion is we will be starting from scratch in many ways. Just one opinion of many. Given the dangers of indoor over outdoor as far as Covid-19 transmission--WGI would come back AFTER an outdoor alternative( however crippled). Nobody is going into anything indoors sitting next to strangers for a long long time. WGI will not be able to hold a single indoor event for years. 

• Like 1

I predict, there will be a 2021 season however, it will be unlike anything we are accustomed to

DEFINITIONS
to think/start to think that something is normal or natural because you have experienced it regularly over a period of time

As a First Responder, I have seen how my county has adapted their county facilities to deal with COVID and how they have set up temporary tents outside their buildings to do limited COVID testing by appointment.

Access to stadiums/crowd protection/spacing/ and housing at school facilities is the key for any of the Band/Drum Corps organizations to travel beyond an 8 hour drive.

Drum Corps activity will resume as soon as states/counties/schools resume operation and figure out how to protect large groups of people massed together in their facilities and stadiums.
Currently this is largely a political decision rather than medical decision, which seems to change daily. We just have to wait.

For eastern based organizations, it is easier for them to do day trips to perform at competitions on a limited basis within an 8 hour drive.
For mid-western organizations, the same applies to a lesser degree.
For western organizations, they must travel long distances outside California, Oregon, Washington to compete because groups are largely located far apart and there are few regional events. It is imperative for these groups to travel.

It's ironic, the current COVID situation almost recreates some of the hurdles that western organizations had to overcome to compete nationwide.

Going back to Troopers '65 & Vanguards '67 through '72. This when the western organizations began to learn how to travel.

We have currently seen virtual performances of orchestras, bands, and other performers streamed 'LIVE' and perhaps, this may be a format for competitions, which could be judged for content, general effect, and visual effect without a present audience through advanced sound technology and video technology.
This would require membership voting by DCI and the membership organizations to institute.

As a former performer, instructor, and now fan, we just have to sit this season out till all the bugs get worked out and/or a virus vaccine is developed to allow masses of people into stadiums and schools.

Even the 2021 season may not be back to our former "normal" resemblance of the activity. It will be a long ordeal to bring the activity back to where it once was.
Organizations still alive will make financial cutbacks to the shows that are produced, there will be less venue's to compete, and we may see a reduction in the size of the competing units without the huge audiences in the stadiums we once knew. 

Recently, news reported that some schools were discontinuing their band programs on the basis of students contracting COVID simply by breathing infection from the breath residue in a wind instrument, This is yet to be determined.

Whatever the outcome, the activity will persevere as it has since it's inception and through the century.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, GUARDLING said:

Its based on decades of experience in the activity, designer, staff, judge, etc etc...

Ok you like hypotheticals? 

If the military did not influence the activity post WW2 would there be an activity

If kids of yesteryear had the choices kids have today, would there be an activity

If DCI was not formed to take charge of their own future, would there be an activity

If the 70s didn't happen and the world changing, would there still be an activity today

Even ...would WGI  be what it is today without drum corps existing .

I do know DCI was waiting to see what was happening with HS's as well as WGI in regards to shutting the season down  and discussing what that meant to them. I know this 1st hand

It's all interconnectable for a long time

I can keep going if you like😷

lol..kidding aside.. You asked a hypothetical . so there would be no answer based on reality so a hypothetical answer would be warranted.

Brought up a hypothetical and you were triggered. I don't understand where you are coming from with the reply to my post. You can keep going if you want. 

47 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Brought up a hypothetical and you were triggered. I don't understand where you are coming from with the reply to my post. You can keep going if you want. 

no big deal moved on since then.😷

I think all I meant was hypothetical is just hypothetical, nothing more 

Edited by GUARDLING

27 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

no big deal moved on since then.😷

I think all I meant was hypothetical is just hypothetical, nothing more 

Hypothetical that I brought up was not that far fetched when considering that Wgi might not make it due to indoors against outdoors of Dci. U are sick?

4 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Hypothetical that I brought up was not that far fetched when considering that Wgi might not make it due to indoors against outdoors of Dci. U are sick?

Youre right WGI may not make it....Most likely....BUT it will have everything to do with summer. Most of WGI are HS programs and that will influence everything to do with DCI..outdoor or not...there is much more to it than the actual few hours of a contest

Sick?

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Youre right WGI may not make it....Most likely....BUT it will have everything to do with summer. Most of WGI are HS programs and that will influence everything to do with DCI..outdoor or not...there is much more to it than the actual few hours of a contest

Sick?

So far Wgi have not cancelled everything. Not all color guard circuits will be down maybe some of the southern states will continue to have regional activities. U have a sick emoji after your message. 

14 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

So far Wgi have not cancelled everything. Not all color guard circuits will be down maybe some of the southern states will continue to have regional activities. U have a sick emoji after your message. 

Not sick just a necessary emoji IMO..anyway I have been involved in such meetings and discussions .. Florida itself has 24 or 25% hospital cases...all children, announced just today. Over 60% of parents do not want to see schools reopening..as of today. If schools do not have these extra programs and I can safely say they won't there will be no local shows. Most all circuits follow all WGI protocol, 

Always hope 

Edited by GUARDLING