Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

a mask is sick?....no just necessary...anyway I have been involved in such meetings and discussions .. Florida itself has 24 or 25% hospital cases...all children, announced just today. Over 60% of parents do not want to see schools reopening..as of today. If schools do not have these extra programs and I can safely say they won't there will be no local shows. Most all circuits follow all WGI protocol, 

Good you are not sick. That is bad about the children and more reason to to cancel everything. So it seems all Wgi events will be cancelled. It could be this is the end of Wgi. Still not convinced it will be the end of Dci and the poll results share my opinion so far. 

Just now, O'Neal's said:

Good you are not sick. That is bad about the children and more reason to to cancel everything. So it seems all Wgi events will be cancelled. It could be this is the end of Wgi. Still not convinced it will be the end of Dci and the poll results share my opinion so far. 

Poll results here will for sure just be the  minority, I think it's more about hope. I think everyone knows it here. With that said, there are so many factors that fall and summer programs influence in DCI. Even basic membership and where it comes from today . If there are no fall or winter programs , you can bet they aren't going to allow summer outside programs come in.

DCI corps are hopeful BUT in every conversation the possibility of no 2021 season is also discussed.

Will WGI return? well there's hope there also. Will anything return the same? Time will tell, I don't know how it could

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

With that said, there are so many factors that fall and summer programs influence in DCI. Even basic membership and where it comes from today . If there are no fall or winter programs , you can bet they aren't going to allow summer outside programs come in.

But there is no monolithic "they".  Housing is decided by a thousand different school districts, along with other possible alternatives.  Show venues include those same school districts, then add colleges/universities, professional sports venues, and other sports facilities unattached to schools.

Even if DCI wants to consider moving forward with a 2021 season, there are a lot of "what ifs" .

Difficulties in housing and practice sites  have already been discussed in detail.

Another  issue is seating capacity.

Right now no one knows what the rules will be next season.

N.J. currently limits outdoor gatherings to 500 people.

There's also talk of 25% or 50% seating in venues.

I don't know what other states are doing.

Obviously,DCI  and corps need to know this to be able to book venues and sell tickets.

Is it economically viable to only sell 1/2,or less, of the seats at

Birnie Crum ?

Will domes like LOS  even be open  for summer activities next year ?

Can corps have their home show ?

Unfortunately,right now all there is in uncertainty,with no time frame

for when information on events like drum corps,will be available.

That makes planning kind of hard.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Not sick just a necessary emoji IMO..anyway I have been involved in such meetings and discussions .. Florida itself has 24 or 25% hospital cases...all children, announced just today. Over 60% of parents do not want to see schools reopening..as of today. If schools do not have these extra programs and I can safely say they won't there will be no local shows. Most all circuits follow all WGI protocol, 

Always hope 

Good to have hope. Only reason I asked if you were sick was the use of that emoji in reply to my posts. It was strange when compared to the other messages you reply or make. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But there is no monolithic "they".  Housing is decided by a thousand different school districts, along with other possible alternatives.  Show venues include those same school districts, then add colleges/universities, professional sports venues, and other sports facilities unattached to schools.

believe what you want, 1st there are not thousands of schools that support the activity. I't hard enough year to year to get what the activity does. A head in the sand will never let the activity move forward, wishful thinking will never let the activity move forward, , mis information or some entitlement won't let the activity move forward.  Facilities struggling with their own issues are going to help the activity move forward is a stretch. Smart directors know this and are discussing this as important part of the possibilities ahead

OK so you find a rare facility, you packing kids on a bus? Where these kids coming from? where are they staying. Lots of variables to consider. It's going to be a hard situation moving forward. Time will tell as band season and WGI decides. Hope is good, a plan is better, although hard when things keep changing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

So far Wgi have not cancelled everything. Not all color guard circuits will be down maybe some of the southern states will continue to have regional activities. U have a sick emoji after your message. 

its way too early for indoor to decide. most places are still figuring out band

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Good to have hope. Only reason I asked if you were sick was the use of that emoji in reply to my posts. It was strange when compared to the other messages you reply or make. 

Lately I use the emoji alot as a reminder I guess BUT thanks for asking, appreciate it

13 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

I predict, there will be a 2021 season however, it will be unlike anything we are accustomed to

DEFINITIONS
to think/start to think that something is normal or natural because you have experienced it regularly over a period of time

As a First Responder, I have seen how my county has adapted their county facilities to deal with COVID and how they have set up temporary tents outside their buildings to do limited COVID testing by appointment.

Access to stadiums/crowd protection/spacing/ and housing at school facilities is the key for any of the Band/Drum Corps organizations to travel beyond an 8 hour drive.

Drum Corps activity will resume as soon as states/counties/schools resume operation and figure out how to protect large groups of people massed together in their facilities and stadiums.
Currently this is largely a political decision rather than medical decision, which seems to change daily. We just have to wait.

For eastern based organizations, it is easier for them to do day trips to perform at competitions on a limited basis within an 8 hour drive.
For mid-western organizations, the same applies to a lesser degree.
For western organizations, they must travel long distances outside California, Oregon, Washington to compete because groups are largely located far apart and there are few regional events. It is imperative for these groups to travel.

It's ironic, the current COVID situation almost recreates some of the hurdles that western organizations had to overcome to compete nationwide.

Going back to Troopers '65 & Vanguards '67 through '72. This when the western organizations began to learn how to travel.

We have currently seen virtual performances of orchestras, bands, and other performers streamed 'LIVE' and perhaps, this may be a format for competitions, which could be judged for content, general effect, and visual effect without a present audience through advanced sound technology and video technology.
This would require membership voting by DCI and the membership organizations to institute.

As a former performer, instructor, and now fan, we just have to sit this season out till all the bugs get worked out and/or a virus vaccine is developed to allow masses of people into stadiums and schools.

Even the 2021 season may not be back to our former "normal" resemblance of the activity. It will be a long ordeal to bring the activity back to where it once was.
Organizations still alive will make financial cutbacks to the shows that are produced, there will be less venue's to compete, and we may see a reduction in the size of the competing units without the huge audiences in the stadiums we once knew. 

Recently, news reported that some schools were discontinuing their band programs on the basis of students contracting COVID simply by breathing infection from the breath residue in a wind instrument, This is yet to be determined.

Whatever the outcome, the activity will persevere as it has since it's inception and through the century.

What is your opinion about a permanent societal behavorial change with regards to indoor gatherings with large amounts of people?  I am not looking for an all or nothing answer, but curious as to your opinion.