Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

51 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

believe what you want, 1st there are not thousands of schools that support the activity.

Never said that.  I said housing is decided by a thousand school districts.  That includes the ones that say "yes", and the ones that say "no".

51 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Never said that.  I said housing is decided by a thousand school districts.  That includes the ones that say "yes", and the ones that say "no".

ok but as I said it's hard enough to get 1 yes from the thousands of school districts and with all this it will be much harder, especially if their own programs are cancelled.

When it comes to a 2021 season, as I’ve said before, two factors need to be in place. The first is an effective vaccine which at this point does look promising though there are still huge logistical factors that have to be determined. The second major issue is diagnosing how the virus will attack and how it will be treated. This is far trickier since the COVID-19 Is still so new. Some Boston teaching hospitals are already grouping patients by early symptoms to see if they can develop treatment plans. My understanding based on conversations I have had with hospital personnel, which was informative but purely anecdotal, is there are three basic categories in hospitalized cases. The majority recover at home but some are hospitalized as a precaution. They most likely will recover but need medical resources close at hand. The second group which is growing includes otherwise healthy people who get the virus and it has unexpected consequences. The third which is the majority of those who die from the disease would be those with the underlying conditions. In most cases even though they had the underlying conditions, they were not at death’s door. 

With vaccines and a treatment plan, everything else will fall into place. Housing sites,  competitive venues, laws regarding how many people will gather, all will depend on vaccines and treatment. 

50 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I anticipate the pageantry arts will become another casualty of all the other doom and gloom, and negativity being spewed everyday all day. 

I think eventually ( who knows when that is ) things will return, different? Maybe. As things return so will many of the things we maybe took for granted. Will there be a new normal like after 9/11 probably. Even to think back now before then, which is hard to remember how different and maybe a little innocent. Think about our parents or grandparents WOW what normal was to them or us as little kids. Fantastic  in some areas and scary in others

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think eventually ( who knows when that is ) things will return, different? Maybe. As things return so will many of the things we maybe took for granted. Will there be a new normal like after 9/11 probably. Even to think back now before then, which is hard to remember how different and maybe a little innocent. Think about our parents or grandparents WOW what normal was to them or us as little kids. Fantastic  in some areas and scary in others

I think of my parents And grandparents living through the Great Depression and World War II and I feel like an ### for complaining about this. 

Come to think of it, my grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu! 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think of my parents And grandparents living through the Great Depression and World War II and I feel like an ### for complaining about this. 

Come to think of it, my grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu! 

I hear ya. I think though if they saw the world today ( if passed ) they wouldnt believe it...great things but some scary ####. I'm not sure a world they would want to be in. So much change. Think how simple ( we can relate  too now but not then ) when we were kids

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Not sick just a necessary emoji IMO..anyway I have been involved in such meetings and discussions .. Florida itself has 24 or 25% hospital cases...all children, announced just today. Over 60% of parents do not want to see schools reopening..as of today. If schools do not have these extra programs and I can safely say they won't there will be no local shows. Most all circuits follow all WGI protocol, 

Always hope 

Where do you get this information? 

Did not see anything in today's news that mentioned that specifically but I did read where,,,,, back on July 16 --246 children in the state were hospitalized for covid, and July 24th the number was at 303. That is a 23% increase in the children's covid hospitalizations. Nowhere can you find info that says 24 or 25% of the overall hospital covid cases are children in the state of Florida. 

I did read where Florida's department of health made huge errors in their rates. That was last week. Maybe the same type of games being played there in Florida and here on DCP. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-children-rate-20200725-woaowotttrbdxc4cqqshttqkje-story.html

Edited by E3D

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I anticipate the pageantry arts will become another casualty of all the other doom and gloom, and negativity being spewed everyday all day. 

The world has had plenty of doom and gloom to deal with yet it evolved and adjusted.   Sometimes events such as this produce the greatest ingenuity.