Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

18 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I don't think there will be a 2021 season; planning for 2022 would probably be for the best. If there is anything; I think the average size of all corps that decide to proceed would be kept to a minimum. In speculation, world class corps might have to go back to the years of 90-128 members until things even resemble a "back to normal" scenario. 

If there’s no season in 2021 you can stick a fork in the activity- there won’t be enough corps left to have a meaningful tour

imo we will end up with a short 30-45 day tour with outdoor shows with limited capacity JMO 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

imo we will end up with a short 30-45 day tour with outdoor shows with limited capacity JMO 

The logistics and expense requirements of a short season in 2021 will make things worse financially.

Corps need attendance to make it work. 

We are about to go through a winter of hell. 

JMO.

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

No way that will happen! Too many restrictions state-by-state. 

Hate to say it but this is my guess. Some people talk as if DCI will be able to determine if there will be a season or not. Just too much that is out of DCIs control be it legal or logistics.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Once the great reset is completed we will see who is left. Regardless those naughty little Devils will be the front runners again taking all the toys back to Cali. 

A little interested in the Devils and how they are doing with their money. Do you know or does anyone know here how the online or Virtual Bingo is doing? Compared to the in-person Bingo? 

What gives on the reset? Do you mean that as in the covid is a purge of sorts? Purge of 2020-2022 which corps will remain? 

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

There’s a big appetite for renewed lockdowns as well as a six week nationwide shutdown in 2021. 

As many things are controlled by the states themselves, does your federal government even have the jurisdiction to force a nationwide shutdown?  My first thought is they do not.  However, every time I think I understand your system of government, I am proven wrong. 

Here our provinces control the issue.  Our federal government does not have that jurisdiction - then again maybe i'm wrong.  It has however provided much needed support to citizens affected by this issue. 

We are at the end of week 7 of our 2nd lockdown in my province.  Bars, restaurants, museums, gyms, cultural events, theaters are closed.  Stores and schools are not.  We have social restrictions in place.  If you live alone, you are allowed one visitor at a time.  If you live with someone you are not allowed social visits in your home but you can accept one person who is there to provide a service - ie. repair person, etc.

One week away from the 2nd extended deadline and reported cases have increased.  I assume that it will once again be extended.  

Mental health is severely taxed here.  I am hoping that while some restrictions remain in place to curb the spread, the social restrictions ease up a bit. 

Edited by Continental