Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

10 hours ago, Poppycock said:

No way that will happen! Too many restrictions state-by-state. 

exactly. and states change the rules daily as cases continue to explode...what I think saw 184,000 new cases today alone?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

exactly. and states change the rules daily as cases continue to explode...what I think saw 184,000 new cases today alone?

And PA what... 5500? Before two weeks ago the worst we ever hit was around 2100. 

22 hours ago, Continental said:

The logistics and expense requirements of a short season in 2021 will make things worse financially.

Corps need attendance to make it work. 

We are about to go through a winter of hell. 

JMO.

Does anyone here know if the Drum Corps follow a calendar year for tax reporting? This years Tax information will be good to understand the ability of the corps to continue. Winter of hell, I would think covid is going to follow the same pattern it has, which would be regions will have a spike in cases and then it will come down. I read where fatalities from the disease is down 30 percent. Hospitalizations also appear to be down. With the vaccine coming maybe it will not be a winter of hell? 

Edited by WilsonStaff

Some good news this morning. Moderna announced a 95% successful vaccine that only requires a standard freezer (which all clinics and pharmacies have), and is viable for up to 30 days. This will be much easier to ship and manage than the Pfizer vaccine which required super-cold freezers and was only viable for 5 days.

I don't think this will have any effect on the 2021 season, but it does open the door for the nation to be back to something close enough to normal to hope for a return in 2022.

• Like 2

As much as it seems easy to pinpoint current issues with a specific generation, there are so many faults across them all.  The news is full of people from older generations acting like idiots.  Every time I think of a generalization I've proving wrong and for some reason it happens soon after I make it.

What I can't stand is the attitude that people are expendable based on their age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

Some good news this morning. Moderna announced a 95% successful vaccine that only requires a standard freezer (which all clinics and pharmacies have), and is viable for up to 30 days. This will be much easier to ship and manage than the Pfizer vaccine which required super-cold freezers and was only viable for 5 days.

I don't think this will have any effect on the 2021 season, but it does open the door for the nation to be back to something close enough to normal to hope for a return in 2022.

ridiculous.

its now expected that multiple highly-effective vaccines WILL BE available for the general public by April 2021 - one month prior to ST move in - members, staff & support will need to be up to date on their vaccinations prior to move in

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

ridiculous.

its now expected that multiple highly-effective vaccines WILL BE available for the general public by April 2021 - one month prior to ST move in - members, staff & support will need to be up to date on their vaccinations prior to move in

The vaccines will be going out, but there will undoubtedly be a lag between the time that the public gets access in April and when the school boards (or more accurately their lawyers) will start relaxing their policies on public events. I just don't see the schools cooperating in time to hold a tour this year. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

The vaccines will be going out, but there will undoubtedly be a lag between the time that the public gets access in April and when the school boards (or more accurately their lawyers) will start relaxing their policies on public events. I just don't see the schools cooperating in time to hold a tour this year. 

Exactly.... only positive for 2021 is it probably isn’t an election year for school board. Don’t forget y’all... biggest qualification for school board has nothing to do with education, it’s how to get more votes. And no better way to lose votes than to try to open the school property to outsiders before voters think it is safe (or even after they think it’s safe)

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

ridiculous.

I think you might be correct. It is known that the schools being super spreader locations for the children has not materialized. Many news outlets have covered it. At our university there have been many changes but we have also been able to hold events. I do know that many of the professors here at the university are steering clear of the any large student body events.