Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

One of the biggest reasons teachers didn't want to go back to in classroom teaching was the possibility of children infecting others within the school.  Again, some feel the "science" doesn't support their concerns.  Did De Blasio change his mind do to science or the parental out cry?  Many parents might be upset if their child is kept back, but some won't mind since they'll be a year older, bigger, stronger, quardinated, for sports.

I’m going with the concerns I’ve heard expressed by teachers I know personally. And their concern was mainly students but also with anyone who is in contact with the students. From my understanding parents in these districts all have differing opinions on the matter. And that doesn’t have #### to do with politicians or union.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Devils is in the details.... and the moving target here is “within reason”.  As sister in law’s elementary school just extended at home for students and at school for teachers another week in PA. And state worries about running out of bed space. And daily numbers for last few weeks makes spring peak of 2k a day seem like a pleasant memory.

We should know better after the order of who should get vaccine first gets worked out and how soon large numbers of everyone else can receive.

Schools are not filling up the bed space or attributing to it in super spreading. 

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

Health of a society can be seen and judge by looking at the societies young people.

Now Fauci says this provided quote after saying in June and July that he did not know about school. School should be in person. The quicker that becomes a reality the quicker drum corps can plan for a season. 

"We say it, not being facetiously or having a soundbite or anything, but you know: close the bars, keep the schools open, is what we really say," Fauci told Martha Raddatz on ABC's "This Week." "Obviously, you don't have one size fits all, but as I've said in the past, and as you accurately quoted me – the default position should be as best as possible, within reason, to keep the children in school and get them back to school."

Counterpoint: schools should continue to be virtual as the situation starts to get worse. 

jaw dropping analysis, I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Schools are not filling up the bed space or attributing to it in super spreading. 

Like I told ghost. Anything in schools be it teaching or using for outside activities also involves adults. Schools do not operate in a youth only vacuum 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Counterpoint: schools should continue to be virtual as the situation starts to get worse. 

jaw dropping analysis, I know. 

For the record my early elementary (forget this years grade) sis in law teacher hates virtual. Kids are less likely to say or do something disruptive when they are in a classroom setting. Still the usual “who is humming” and “eyes here billy” but kids more easily distracted when physically by themselves.

fyi: this is a rural sister with the demographics you’d expect

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

One of the biggest reasons teachers didn't want to go back to in classroom teaching was the possibility of children infecting others within the school.  Again, some feel the "science" doesn't support their concerns.  Did De Blasio change his mind do to science or the parental out cry?  Many parents might be upset if their child is kept back, but some won't mind since they'll be a year older, bigger, stronger, more coordinated, for sports.

De Blasio changed his mind because of the science. Science that is ignored by people posting here.

Who gets hurt the most with schools being closed? What demographics? The people in the media and in this forum are hurting the poor and minorities with this type of old way to think. School districts have lost students with the virtual learning where they have no idea where those students are. No contact by phone or door knocks. Then just last week some major school district's across the country say that the increase in failures is 40 percent or more. Some are astronomical changes. And the same old tired replies to posts that say schools should open up. Racist behavior by the school district's. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/fairfax-schools-more-failing-grades/2020/11/24/1ac2412e-2e34-11eb-96c2-aac3f162215d_story.html

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Like I told ghost. Anything in schools be it teaching or using for outside activities also involves adults. Schools do not operate in a youth only vacuum 

Why would Fauci say go back to school? He knows that their are old people teaching. But he says go back. Maybe because he sees it as being just like when you go get grocery, gas, pharmacy, work? 

5 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

Why would Fauci say go back to school? He knows that their are old people teaching. But he says go back. Maybe because he sees it as being just like when you go get grocery, gas, pharmacy, work? 

What part of “only saying what I hear first hand” didn’t you understand? As for work.... my old place has been remote since mid March. 

And are you seriously saying that people here (who you do NOT know) are racist and don’t care? 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just find it freaking bizarre that teachers are being accused of hating their students...... That’s what I’m reading when I see anyone who is for virtual learning is racist and hates the poor. Teachers I’ve talked to see it as lesser of two evils. If you disagree fine but the insults are idiotic 

Fyi sils school went virtual because someone within the school building was found infected with CV.  And this is generally a lower middle class almost all Caucasian district in the boonies.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

43 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

De Blasio changed his mind because of the science. Science that is ignored by people posting here.

Who gets hurt the most with schools being closed? What demographics? The people in the media and in this forum are hurting the poor and minorities with this type of old way to think. School districts have lost students with the virtual learning where they have no idea where those students are. No contact by phone or door knocks. Then just last week some major school district's across the country say that the increase in failures is 40 percent or more. Some are astronomical changes. And the same old tired replies to posts that say schools should open up. Racist behavior by the school district's. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/fairfax-schools-more-failing-grades/2020/11/24/1ac2412e-2e34-11eb-96c2-aac3f162215d_story.html

Small world, I went to school in fairfax county. My permanent residence is still there. 

The increase in failures is more of a failure of the kids and parents than the teachers. What happened to personal responsibility? Not sure why kids have to be coddled in order to not fail their classes. 

I was never one of those types who could pay attention in class. Pretty much depended on textbooks and powerpoints to teach me everything. But I digress. 

I will personally admit that virtual learning disproportionately hurts lower income families more than anyone else. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But the disparity between low income and high income families in education will always remain, it's a matter of how big that gap is. The stay at home measures are only temporary. One year of lower quality public education will not make or break anyone's future, but losing one's parents early on to COVID-19 can. Losing thousands of teachers (due to worker strikes and infections) when this country already has a teacher shortage can. 

The temporary decrease in education quality is more than worth the decrease in chances of spreading this virus, in my opinion. 

By the way, I do take exception to the accusation of racism for supporting virtual learning. Especially as a minority myself from the same country you linked. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2