Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

FYI Watching CBS news and CDC announces first to get vaccine will be Health care workers and nursing home residents. Maybe start 2 weeks and about 24 million people. Bad news is will be up to 5 months for this phase. Next group 87m essential- police, teachers, firefighter, food workers. Then next group 153m over 65 and high risk due to medical conditions. Still leave 80m to go by my math. No estimated time given after first group. 

hmmm... my late wife who had health issues would have to wait until the third group to be protected. And at age 63 I’ll be in the 80m left overs after the other 3 groups. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

FYI Watching CBS news and CDC announces first to get vaccine will be Health care workers and nursing home residents. Maybe start 2 weeks and about 24 million people. Bad news is will be up to 5 months for this phase. Next group 87m essential- police, teachers, firefighter, food workers. Then next group 153m over 65 and high risk due to medical conditions. Still leave 80m to go by my math. No estimated time given after first group. 

Suffice to say, DCI 2021 is not going to happen.  

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

Suffice to say, DCI 2021 is not going to happen.  

Thinking the math and sis in law might get her teachers group vaccine just before she retires. I might get the “everyone else” shot just before I’m old enough to be in the previous (65 and older)group. 
Real kicker is last week heard that essential govt employees would be in the second essential group. If I hadn’t retired I would probably be in that group. That stupid little ship board hazardous waste tracking app I supported might have come in handy 😫

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking the math and sis in law might get her teachers group vaccine just before she retires. I might get the “everyone else” shot just before I’m old enough to be in the previous (65 and older)group. 
Real kicker is last week heard that essential govt employees would be in the second essential group. If I hadn’t retired I would probably be in that group. That stupid little ship board hazardous waste tracking app I supported might have come in handy 😫

I have a friend who I just found out a few days ago tested positive and pretty sick. A teacher and pretty sure they go it at school. 

If schools are going to be open teachers need protection

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I have a friend who I just found out a few days ago tested positive and pretty sick. A teacher and pretty sure they go it at school. 

If schools are going to be open teachers need protection

Went to school in a large (in area) school district and one of the biggest bus budgets in the state. Most of the drivers I remember were retired or mothers whose kids were out of the house so picking up extra money. Probably the oldest age demographic and probably one who deals with the largest number of kids a day. Largest number as school times were staggered and one driver could run three routes a day (1 each for elementary, middle and senior highs). Yet somehow this group is hardly thought of...

oops just remembered the bus company that serves my old school district had to shut down for two weeks the other month. Scheduling staff had cv outbreak so bunch of districts had no buses. Sister drove by one of our old elementary schools and it was a nightmare. Local cops had to direct traffic around the place. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Went to school in a large (in area) school district and one of the biggest bus budgets in the state. Most of the drivers I remember were retired or mothers whose kids were out of the house so picking up extra money. Probably the oldest age demographic and probably one who deals with the largest number of kids a day. Largest number as school times were staggered and one driver could run three routes a day for elementary, middle and senior highs. Yet somehow this group is hardly thought of...

Goes far beyond just the students

17 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Goes far beyond just the students

Yeah and I’ve said before my sister in law has a husband who had nasty health issues. So students, teachers, staff, drivers, etc etc etc AND their families..... Heard of a few teachers retiring because they were afraid they would bring CV home with them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

To continue with the topic of drum corps...

My city estimates that once the vaccine is distributed consumers will partake in "revenge spending" which will fuel local tourism after a very dismal year. 

I anticipate it won't just be tourism that will see revenge spending.  Many other areas will see the same thing including entertainment.  Perhaps this will lead to a successful DCI season in 2022 as fans return to the activity.  One can only hope this is the case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah and I’ve said before my sister in law has a husband who had nasty health issues. So students, teachers, staff, drivers, etc etc etc AND their families..... Heard of a few teachers retiring because they were afraid they would bring CV home with them.

Districts also have a lot of problems getting substitute teachers. Many (like me) are older, and they do not want to risk going into a school setting right now (like me again). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You hinted at it by calling the school district racist for supporting virtual learning. I support virtual learning. You can do the transitive math, yes?

I do think it's interesting you ignored the rest of my points I made about what could happen if we go back to in-person learning. No rebuttal? 

Fauci is one person. He is not the end all, be all, nor is he a policy maker. Scientists disagree with each other on subjects all the time, this situation is no different. Science would like to be black and white, but it's unfortunately not like that. If it was, we wouldn't continue to do research. That is why the content of our textbooks are constantly changing with the times. 

Not sure if you've ever actually analyzed research articles before. An article concluding something does not make it so. Biases come into play. Was the research design adequate? What was the sample size? What type of research was it? Systematic review? Meta-analysis? Case-control? Randomized control trial? 

I'm going to be a resident next year, so I live and breathe science every day. What about you? 

Virtual learn along with Covid18 effects minorities, poor more than any other's. Both of those while could be not intentional it is still racist against those minorities. The very people they think they are trying to help end up losing much more than just an education. It is selfish and harmful to youth to deny school and interaction. 

What could happen if we go back to in person learning? Most of the country have in person learning. Many other countries besides America have in person learning. Go back is what the remainder of the schools should do in the areas where the leadership think they know what they are doing. The faster those school get on with it the faster things will get back to normal. 

Lord Fauci was sainted during the summer. He says it and that should be the law of the land. haha I joke. 

I'm not a professional student like you are but I do happen to be taken a class or more in a undisclosed location. Getting too personal. Only a matter of time before someone starts to flame the thread against the rules established by the governing body.