Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

Mod hat here:

Please do not slide into personal attacks and commentary. Most of these threads end up being closed as people do not adhere to the DCP guidelines. There are a couple of back-and-forths here that have gone astray.

22 minutes ago, O'Neal's said:

What could happen if we go back to in person learning? Most of the country have in person learning. Many other countries besides America have in person learning. 

Have there not been several stories on the small screen, online, and in print that list how poor virtual learning has been nationwide? Even children with access to computers are not participating.  Our world wide standing in education of our children has been dropping for years, never mind with C19 making learning very challenging.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Have there not been several stories on the small screen, online, and in print that list how poor virtual learning has been nationwide? Even children with access to computers are not participating.  Our world wide standing in education of our children has been dropping for years, never mind with C19 making learning very challenging.

I read today that a seven year old was admitted to a hospital not because of C19 but because he had planned to commit suicide. Had it not been for the mother discovery of the notes he made, he would have become another overwhelming 2020 statistic. He hasn’t been able to handle remote learning or the isolation from friends. 

The article states that adolescence is a vulnerable time. It's when children are developing their sense of self who they are and who they can be. 

1 hour ago, O'Neal's said:

I'm not a professional student like you are 

And insults that makes some of us feel your purpose is trolling more than presenting your side of the issue 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Health of a society can be seen and judge by looking at the societies young people.

Now Fauci says this provided quote after saying in June and July that he did not know about school. School should be in person. The quicker that becomes a reality the quicker drum corps can plan for a season. 

"We say it, not being facetiously or having a soundbite or anything, but you know: close the bars, keep the schools open, is what we really say," Fauci told Martha Raddatz on ABC's "This Week." "Obviously, you don't have one size fits all, but as I've said in the past, and as you accurately quoted me – the default position should be as best as possible, within reason, to keep the children in school and get them back to school."

and yet more and more schools are going virtual into January now. given that people are travelling over the holidays regardless what public officials urge them not to do, it's spreading. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Some teacher unions seem to still be in pre election mode.  Elementary school children have always been at a very low level of catching C19 and those who do are usually back in the game in two weeks.

From the CDC site.

Data as of 

Age group 

COVID-19 Deaths 

Indicator 

Sex 

Race or Hispanic Origin Group 

Start Week 

End Week 

11/25/2020
0-4 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
5-18 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
19-44 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
45-64 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
65-74 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
>75 years
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
All ages
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
0-4 years
Sex
Female
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
5-18 years
Sex
Female
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
0-4 years
Sex
Male
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
5-18 years
Sex
Male
All
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
0-4 years
Race and Hispanic Origin
All
Hispanic or Latino
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
0-4 years
Race and Hispanic Origin
All
Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native
2/1/2020
11/21/2020
11/25/2020
0-4 years
Race and Hispanic Origin
All
Non-Hispanic Asian
2/1/2020
11/21/2020

but they spread it.

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

One of the biggest reasons teachers didn't want to go back to in classroom teaching was the possibility of children infecting others within the school.  Again, some feel the "science" doesn't support their concerns.  Did De Blasio change his mind do to science or the parental out cry?  Many parents might be upset if their child is kept back, but some won't mind since they'll be a year older, bigger, stronger, more coordinated, for sports.

and they are infecting others....adults

8 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Schools are not filling up the bed space or attributing to it in super spreading. 

so then why do schools continue to go virtual?

8 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Why would Fauci say go back to school? He knows that their are old people teaching. But he says go back. Maybe because he sees it as being just like when you go get grocery, gas, pharmacy, work? 

oh and you continue to ignore a fact pointed out to you probably a dozen times....what school is going to want to open up their facilities to an outside group...and why would that outside group want to incur the cost of getting increased insurance coverage?

i'll wait.

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You hinted at it by calling the school district racist for supporting virtual learning. I support virtual learning. You can do the transitive math, yes?

I do think it's interesting you ignored the rest of my points I made about what could happen if we go back to in-person learning. No rebuttal? 

Fauci is one person. He is not the end all, be all, nor is he a policy maker. Scientists disagree with each other on subjects all the time, this situation is no different. Science would like to be black and white, but it's unfortunately not like that. If it was, we wouldn't continue to do research. That is why the content of our textbooks are constantly changing with the times. 

Not sure if you've ever actually analyzed research articles before. An article concluding something does not make it so. Biases come into play. Was the research design adequate? What was the sample size? What type of research was it? Systematic review? Meta-analysis? Case-control? Randomized control trial? 

I'm going to be a resident next year, so I live and breathe science every day. What about you? 

if it doesn't fit her narrative, she ignores it. take into consideration the zillions of points raised about logistics, liability and such she continues to glaze over.