Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )

Will there be a DCI 2021 season? (Read before voting... )  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Assume both fall (marching band) and spring (WGI) marching arts are cancelled - but by January, we have three vaccines for covid-19 approved for general use, and widely deployed in ample supply. Could there still be a DCI season in 2021 under those circumstances?

• Yes - maybe fewer shows, maybe more localized, but there could still be DCI contests in 2021.
    • No - if WGI takes 2021 off, there is zero chance of a DCI season. Fall 2021 marching band would be the first possible return of marching contests.

6 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Unfortunately intended or not the school districts behavior hurts minorities and poor the most. That is racist actions even if it was not intentional. 

The schools have been closing over time for very long because of the flu every year. Sometimes for weeks. "Covid-18" is the same. If there is an outbreak then close for a short period of time. The problem is the school districts that claim science and ignore it when not convenient for them. Maybe you want to do the same? Or no? 

Lets not get to show our anger here. It is just an opinion. I stay away for a while and make one post and suddenly triggered behavior is happening. Next thing you know the flame master will flame the thread. 

I'm a legal resident of this country so no need to ask me that question. haha a joke. Who cares if you are going to be a resident. It does not make any difference to the discussion. Except to say that you want to have personal conversations. 🙂

ok....provide evidence of massive school closures due to the flu. i'll wait.

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I have a friend who I just found out a few days ago tested positive and pretty sick. A teacher and pretty sure they go it at school. 

If schools are going to be open teachers need protection

i have a father in law battling it while also fighting Parkinsons. the biggest worry is the long term affects

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Districts also have a lot of problems getting substitute teachers. Many (like me) are older, and they do not want to risk going into a school setting right now (like me again). 

i know at least a dozen that resigned from jobs into schools to get virtual teaching gigs...across the age spectrum...newbies to soon to be retirees.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I read today that a seven year old was admitted to a hospital not because of C19 but because he had planned to commit suicide. Had it not been for the mother discovery of the notes he made, he would have become another overwhelming 2020 statistic. He hasn’t been able to handle remote learning or the isolation from friends. 

The article states that adolescence is a vulnerable time. It's when children are developing their sense of self who they are and who they can be. 

it's tough. i am married to an elementary teacher. She misses her kids, and she knows this isn't going to help them...but she's also terrified she could catch it from a kid whose family is spreading it, then bringing it home to us...as she can't visit her dad in his skilled care facility while he fights Covid and deals with his Parkinsons issues at the same time.

the bottom line is there is no win-win in all of this, and sadly as a country we are so divided and there's no common ground on doing the right thing for the overall world. it's too "me me me"....My God can you imagine WWII if the country didn't rally around the cause?

that anybody is seriously worried about having a drum corps season as we continue to speed towards 300k and more dead really needs to have their priorities checked.

• Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have a father in law battling it while also fighting Parkinsons. the biggest worry is the long term affects

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you are right.  I'm hearing from someone who spent 3 weeks in an ICU and now they think there may be long term lung issues. Sad

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok....provide evidence of massive school closures due to the flu. i'll wait.

It was not that hard to find those types of closures happen every year. No one said massive school closures. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2019-01-25/schools-close-as-flu-season-progresses

https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/news/2019-02-06-flu-cdc-alabama-schools-closed

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you are right.  I'm hearing from someone who spent 3 weeks in an ICU and now they think there may be long term lung issues. Sad

yeah the unknown for those who had it and survived is scary for some

• Sad 1

Just now, O'Neal's said:

and not even close to what we have been dealing with since the spring. and that flu season didn't kill over a  quarter of a million people and counting.

i get it...you want to march. you also refuse to discuss any of the massive logistical hurdles facing the activity. a vaccine will not be widely distributed in time for a season. it sucks, but to quote a government official, "it is what it is".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

Virtual learn along with Covid18 effects minorities, poor more than any other's. Both of those while could be not intentional it is still racist against those minorities. The very people they think they are trying to help end up losing much more than just an education. It is selfish and harmful to youth to deny school and interaction. 

What could happen if we go back to in person learning? Most of the country have in person learning. Many other countries besides America have in person learning. Go back is what the remainder of the schools should do in the areas where the leadership think they know what they are doing. The faster those school get on with it the faster things will get back to normal. 

Lord Fauci was sainted during the summer. He says it and that should be the law of the land. haha I joke. 

I'm not a professional student like you are but I do happen to be taken a class or more in a undisclosed location. Getting too personal. Only a matter of time before someone starts to flame the thread against the rules established by the governing body. 

affects

• Haha 1